My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Should not have welded across the ends of the plate on each end of the cylinder mount, It will eventually break along the weld, especially as that's where the cheek plates end.
I would have welded the plate back in, removed the cylinder mount, put a doubler of at least 1/4" plate over the top of the broken piece, at least 6" longer on each end past the piece that broke out, cut the ends to either an inverted V or ^ on each end and welded. The put the cylinder mount back on.............Mike

·
Registered
368 Posts
I see you are also a firm believer in the "More weld=More better" philosophy :thThumbsU Looks like that fix should work fine but I am curious about the big hole on each side of the cylinder mount, wont water get in those holes and rot the boom out from the inside out??

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should not have welded across the ends of the plate on each end of the cylinder mount, It will eventually break along the weld, especially as that's where the cheek plates end.
I would have welded the plate back in, removed the cylinder mount, put a doubler of at least 1/4" plate over the top of the broken piece, at least 6" longer on each end past the piece that broke out, cut the ends to either an inverted V or ^ on each end and welded. The put the cylinder mount back on.............Mike
I see Your point but not have suitable steel plate for that, I ended open cracks and weld those bottom up.
If this doesn't work I have to try something like You say.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see you are also a firm believer in the "More weld=More better" philosophy :thThumbsU Looks like that fix should work fine but I am curious about the big hole on each side of the cylinder mount, wont water get in those holes and rot the boom out from the inside out??
More is better everywhere.. :fing32:

There is a hole but it have no meaning... they have planned to be so...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts