My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pricing out CUTs and have narrowed my search to the Mahindra 1640 and MF 1840E - fairly comparable tractors but the clear edge goes to Massey in the PTO arena...so my question is, can the 27hp PTO in the Mahindra effectively operate a 6ft bush hog in heavy field grass and saplings?

I like to go by the 5hp/ft "rule" for PTO operation so I may have answered my own question, but figured I'd ask if any of you operators are getting good results from sub-30hp PTOs with 6ft rotary cutters.

The 1640 is an awful lot of tractor, but 11hp is an awful lot of loss between the engine and PTO IMO.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've got a 28 HP Mahindra that swings a 5 ft brush hog with very good authority. I don't know if it would do quite as well with a 6 footer though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a 28 HP Mahindra that swings a 5 ft brush hog with very good authority. I don't know if it would do quite as well with a 6 footer though.
I appreciate it bud. I ended up going with a Kioti CK3510. Slightly less engine HP than the Mahindra but almost 4 HP more PTO HP and it slings my 6ft bush hog around easily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts