My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The Kohler Magnum twin was a horizontally opposed, aluminum flat head. IMO, the OHV Command V-twins are leaps and bounds better in regard to power, smoothness, longevity and fuel consumption.

Joel

·
Registered
496 Posts
The, Magnum has an aluminum case and iron cylinders.I can only speak about the Magnums. I have two in my 82 series Cub Cadets and they have lots of power .Not great on gas and have a nasty habit of dropping the governor gear and tearing up the internals.Don't get me wrong I really like them but they have their quirks.
Bob

Push the button,Frank
MST3000

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
COMMAND!!! By far better motors!!!!! they make gobs of horsepower and torque when running properly(and it dont take much to make them run right) Thats what Im running on my pulling tractors and you can buy bolt on horsepower that is stock parts for them!!!! and the parts are cheaper around here to buy then Magnum/KT parts are!!! and yes command is aluminum V twin design!!! ive seen 100hp gotten from a command block and 12,000rpms!!!!!!

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I don't see how the Command's are any good.. considering I know of 2 now, with low hours that snapped off rocker arm studs for no reason.

I say they are junk (at least any one newer than 06)

·
2,456 Posts
I know of one that did that and it was due to over tightning the bolts....the guy rebuilt it and less than 1 hour it snapped the bolt and fixed it and then it snapped the pedistool(bad spelling sorry) off that the rocker sits on...I think every motor has theirs faults but the command i think is the nicest now adays, and its easier to get parts for(atleast around here!)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Magnum
A compact package disguises the tough-as-nails performance within. Born of heavy-duty cast iron, KOHLER Magnum engines provide years of durable, reliable performance.

Command pro
You need maximum power. You expect rugged reliability. Welcome to the KOHLER Command PRO series. With cast iron cylinder bores, overhead valve technology, larger-capacity oil and fuel filters, and high-performance spark plugs, our Command PRO engines deliver years of nearly service-free operation. Because you need professional results, day after day.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/serieslanding.htm?series=Magnum

·
2,456 Posts
hehe kohler lies on their page!! i know they made a 25hp Command that had a nickelizd cadium junk bore..it was like hard chrome in the cylinder wall and it cant be honed or anything once its wore out you gotta have it recoated, not bored like a cast iron sleeve they claim to have!! hehe but they quickly quit using that and went back to the cast sleeve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts