My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new stator on my Kohler CV22S motor, put the flywheel back on and tested.. No AC voltage across the terminals.. The magnets on the stator all are good(at least they are magnetized,,,) Are there magnets in the flywheel???? because nothing wants to stick to it... I would think that if there were magnets in the flywheel the whole flywheel would attract metal..

Some lessons here??

d

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope.. Not aluminum,, looks more like cast iron,, Has rust like iron,, heavy like iron,, It's iron

·
dirtgeezer
1,441 Posts
Yep, the magnet is inserted into the flywheel , my Briggs have a hard rubber around the magnet, I think this is just to keep the magnet from slinging out. just being cast iron doesn't make the flywheel become a magnet by osmossis!

By the way, you probably messed up installing the new parts on your Kohl, or have another problem with the charging circuit.:sorry1:

I have a Briggs that won't gen any AC either, nor keep the battery charged. I just charge the battery with my Harbor Freight 12 volt charger every couple of months, and mow only in daylight. The engine ignition flywheel mag. works fine

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hard to mess up installing a stator,, 2 bolts and run the wires out,, I am measuring the AC ( or lack of) at the open end of the stator connector. Nothing else is hooked up yet ( rectifier ) Simply trying to see I I can get some AC from the new Stator..

Also there is what looks like magnets in the flywheel, but nothing metal seems to want to be magnetically attracted to them.. Does that mean they are bad??? and if so how in the world does that happen...

thanks
d

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I am not being clear enough.. I am talking about the magnets on the underside of the flywheel that energize the stator ( if they are indeed magnets there) The motor gets great spark and runs great, It's just that the Stator is not producing AC.. I am trying to figure out if there are, magnets on the underside of the flywheel. I have large magnets on the Stator itself......

Wait a minute.... I have large magnets on the stator itself when I pull the flywheel off. they are stuck to the stator by their magnetism only.. should those magnets be attached to the flywheel and not the stator????? I may have to take some pictures....

dale

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally found an article that talks about the kohler flywheel and magnets,, My magnets have come loose from the flywheel and are stuck to the stator,, How they did this all at once and nothing got broke (magnets) is amazing to me,, So I guess I will have to take off the flywheel and clean the underside extremely well and re glue the magnets back to the flywheel...

Any advise on the type of glue to use for this?? epoxy I guess..

I will have some pictures tomorrow

d

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Uh, the Stator magnets should be epoxied to the inside of the fly wheel. Fly wheel spins causing the magnets to circle the stator. The magnets need to be placed in alternating polarity around the flywheel.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I went out and pulled the flywheel off,, This is what I saw ( also the first time I pulled the FW )

Stator.jpg

And the inside of the flywheel

flywheel.jpg

To my unknowing eyes, That looked odd ( magnets stuck to the stator ) but who was I to say diff,, I kept wondering why a new stator diud not come with magnets attached.. BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THAT!!!

I will pick up some epoxy glue in the AM and start gluing very carefully..

Amazing how those magnets all must have come off at the same time and did not get damaged,, I may go to church on Sunday...

·
Registered
28 Posts
had the same thing happen to my kohler just clean everthing good and put the magnets back in the flywheel the same way they are stuck to the stator(north -south) i used a product called gorilla glue that was two seasons ago no problems yet

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hard to mess up installing a stator,, 2 bolts and run the wires out,, I am measuring the AC ( or lack of) at the open end of the stator connector. Nothing else is hooked up yet ( rectifier ) Simply trying to see I I can get some AC from the new Stator..

Also there is what looks like magnets in the flywheel, but nothing metal seems to want to be magnetically attracted to them.. Does that mean they are bad??? and if so how in the world does that happen...

thanks
d
It does have to be put on the right side facing up useuly there is a stamp this side up or engine side

·
15,000 +posts!
20,547 Posts
I think you must keep the magnets in the same position they were in,otherwise the north and south poles would be reversed and might affect the output ,if it works at all..
I never had to repair this kind of problem though and might be wrong!..I find it unreal they ALL came unglued at once,and they stayed stuck to the stator ,instead of being mangled to powder!..J-B Weld to the rescue??..

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
As you have found out, the magnets must be on the flywheel - because the magnets have to move past the stator to generate current flow, hence electricity. Moving magnet + coil of wire = electric current.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea

I have only removed them one at time to clean them off.. They all have a little yellow mark on the bottom of each one so I will not make any mistake with that.. also I will glue them one at a time to keep the order the same ( although I doubt the order is critical.

This has been a real learning experience for me.... I am fairly mechanically inclined,, but just never really had to deal with the charging side of "small" engines..

I was almost at the point of seeing how I could fabricate an external alternator for the motor..

d

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
Working on small engines scared me... Until I took one apart :)

I have rebuilt several Chevy 350's but never a small engine... Most of the same principals apply, just with minor differences (like the charging system)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just curious , did you use the hammer method, or some other impact force to remove the flywheel? Because that is the only way I can believe the magnets could have done what we are seeing .

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
I've loosened a magnet or to, usually when pinging the fly wheel with a hammer to remove it. JB weld works fine.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
I usually use a puller if that doesn't work, I put a pry bar under the flywheels for pressure, and LIGHTLY tap the crank with a dead blow till it pops...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts