My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this 9hp Magna-trac.

Came with a snow plow.

Starter\gen seems stuck, Shaft on the engine is missing a pulley for the starter\gen belt. Iginition is gone. Steering needs attention. Not sure what else it may need. Time will tell.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Very cool machine! I had an opportunity to buy one of those a few years back but just couldn't agree on a price with the seller. They were supposedly sold through Popular Mechanics magazines. Some were actually kit tractors - or maybe all of them - not sure. There is very limited info out there on them and you definitely don't see a lot of them. I think yours is the third one I've seen. Nice score :fing32:

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
Very nice looking Magna!!!!! I am curious as to what the model and serial #s are to see if thats an older or newer one than mine.....

In all, including a sale ad i saw from another memberthis is the 6th magna i have seen, including mine.........i will ask more questions in my magna thread, so as to not clutter this one up......

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
Oh, also, it appears that the tractor has had some of the parts repainted...... This is the first i have seen with blue on the engine and fender(s) and i haven't seen any with a black umm...... Dash stand i guess you would call it.... LOL between you and the engine.... Whatever it is....LOL

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice looking Magna!!!!! I am curious as to what the model and serial #s are to see if thats an older or newer one than mine.....

In all, including a sale ad i saw from another memberthis is the 6th magna i have seen, including mine.........i will ask more questions in my magna thread, so as to not clutter this one up......
Here is a pic of the Model and S\N. What year is yours?

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
i figured mine was a 64, based off the engine's build date.....i dont recall offhand what my serial is...LOL i would have to check on that.....

·
youtube.com/5Tractorguy
497 Posts
Say that tractor looks familiar...:)
Didn't know you were on here too.

Here are a few pictures from when I brought mine home 2 years ago. I have since bought 2 more for a total of 3. I have 2 Deluxe models and one Standard model that was rope start. Along with 2 three blade mower decks. I think I'm currently the largest owner of Magna's in the country! :D

This one here in the pictures I'm currently restoring. (video's of the resto on my youtube channel, look to the left under my name for a link). Progress is slow due to lack of time this summer but tomorrow I'll be crackin' down and getting most of the white colored parts done.

And just for some extra info on these,
They were also sold at Railroad Salvage in S. Windsor, Ct. in the 60's. I had talked to another older gentleman who owned one for 10 years back when they were new, he paid $299.00. for the tractor and $100 for the snow blower attachment. He had also said, (being a salvage company they had bought over stock), that when he went there, there were about four, 48' foot flat bed trailers loaded with Magna Tracs. Where they all went today, we don't know...

DSCN1532.jpg DSCN1533.jpg

DSCN1536.jpg DSCN3015.jpg

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Say that tractor looks familiar...:)
Didn't know you were on here too.

Here are a few pictures from when I brought mine home 2 years ago. I have since bought 2 more for a total of 3. I have 2 Deluxe models and one Standard model that was rope start. Along with 2 three blade mower decks. I think I'm currently the largest owner of Magna's in the country! :D

This one here in the pictures I'm currently restoring. (video's of the resto on my youtube channel, look to the left under my name for a link). Progress is slow due to lack of time this summer but tomorrow I'll be crackin' down and getting most of the white colored parts done.

And just for some extra info on these,
They were also sold at Railroad Salvage in S. Windsor, Ct. in the 60's. I had talked to another older gentleman who owned one for 10 years back when they were new, he paid $299.00. for the tractor and $100 for the snow blower attachment. He had also said, (being a salvage company they had bought over stock), that when he went there, there were about four, 48' foot flat bed trailers loaded with Magna Tracs. Where they all went today, we don't know...

View attachment 173539 View attachment 173540

View attachment 173541 View attachment 173542
Hey Jake :trink40:

Yeah, I am here too. Thanks for the photos. Not sure if you know Dave from Indiana?? He made a Dash tower cover for me and sent it to me last week. Got to call him and thank him again.
Can't wait to see yours completed. Speak to you soon.
:trink40:

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
So...... Is it running yet????? LOL

And sorry about the wait on the manual man, its been hectic.....work picked up, and our churches boys club just started back up (im one of the head leaders....) i will try to get it done this week...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So...... Is it running yet????? LOL

And sorry about the wait on the manual man, its been hectic.....work picked up, and our churches boys club just started back up (im one of the head leaders....) i will try to get it done this week...
No, not yet :(

I had a chance to spend a few minutes with it. Starter\gen is frozen so i have to replace that for sure. The wiring is a mess. I dont know if there is another way of trying to start her bypassing all the electical and stuff. Missing the pulley on the shaft other wise I would try to pull start it. Not even sure if it has spark. Need more time and a wiring diagram :trink40:

But I did get the sears running LOL

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
LOL i am not sure if the was a wiring diagram in there or not.... But if not, i can map one out for ya....... There isnt that much that needs power.....

·
Greg from Maine
30 Posts
LOL i am not sure if the was a wiring diagram in there or not.... But if not, i can map one out for ya....... There isnt that much that needs power.....[/quote]

Can anyone shed some light on these tractors... I just picked this up on trade..
Rugged little tractor..
Tractor ser# 93901 by the engine it is a late 64 ot 65
Would like to find a manual

THanks

Greg

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL i am not sure if the was a wiring diagram in there or not.... But if not, i can map one out for ya....... There isnt that much that needs power.....
Can anyone shed some light on these tractors... I just picked this up on trade..
Rugged little tractor..
Tractor ser# 93901 by the engine it is a late 64 ot 65
Would like to find a manual

THanks

Greg[/QUOTE]

Best source is probably the yahoo group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MagnaTracGT/

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have the fore tractor to the magna tracs. its called a wagner little giant. mine is a 1964 model so that should make these magna tracs newer than 1964. i will try and post some pics of my wagner on here, but you can search youtube for wagner little giant and you will see mine and one other on there. i know mine is a 1964 because i have the original paper work with the warranty card stating the purchase date. also i read that 1964 was the last year for the wagner tractors, and thats when magna bought them out and called them magna tracs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I realize this is a somewhat stale thread, but thought I'd bring it back up anyways. I just picked up a Magna Trac Deluxe today and had no idea how rare they were until I tried searching for parts on E Bay and NOTHING popped up.... Now reading here, I might have a gem on my hands, it looks like a turd right now but it's just a diamond in the rough. I had already been daydreaming about doing a resto on this thing, but it now seems as though it might be nearly impossible. :dunno: I spent about an hour and a half giving it a little tlc and had it fired up, purrs like a kitten, and runs like a ***** ape! :sidelaugh I must say, I'm happy with it already, and have yet to put it in gear since the clutch would not disengage. Pics coming soon, along with a progress report! :trink39:

·
Registered
135 Posts
We need pictures or it never happened lol
:Welcome1::wwp: I understand. I woke up this morning and realized it was all just a dream, no, just kidding. Pics should be up this evening, if I find my camera. ......And, I might just know where there is going to be another one for sale shortly. Just have to convince the wife how "valuable" of an investment it would be. :fing32:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I decided this was urgent, I am going to be late for work but at least I can prove that the Magna Trac exists. :sidelaugh

1 - 20 of 40 Posts