My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
oh and the cool part is that my great grandpa bought it and and used it for moving travel trailers around... he and my grandpa owned a trailer sales company on the south side of chicago in the 60-80s... mowed, pulled trailers, and blew snow...LOL

·
10,260 Posts
Very interesting thread!! You have a very nice tractor there and I am glad to see it still earning its keep :)

A member here, 98Murray, has a good buddy of his with a few of the Magnas. Not sure if he knows a lot of history on them but they are cool to see!

Make sure to show some pictures of the beast in the snow!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here are a couple pictures of mine. I got this not to long ago in this same condition it is now. I plan on restoring it back to the original condition

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1448636973.656775.jpg ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1448636989.444089.jpg

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
very nice!!! do you plan to restore it to the original teal color? I like the idea of the dual stacks...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah. I plan on getting it back to all original. I also have the original snow blower that goes on it. I pretty much hit a gold mine with the original paper work. I have 3 manuals for the 9hp model. 1 for the 7 1/4hp model. 1 for the mower deck (that I don't have) A bunch of different advertising clips and the original receipts and pricing lists

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
holy crap you did hit it...LOL can you post a pic of the original blower? mine is a craftsman that my great grandpa adapted... curious to see what you have...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone know the shift pattern for the 9hp model? I rode it around for about an hour and this is about all I could figure out. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated
ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1448736199.122815.jpg

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
Anyone know anything about them?? They were better known for the Shopsmith 5 in 1 wood working station, but they also made small tractors....like this....

This one was made mid sixties, inder the model Magna-trac.....which as I understand it, Struck bought the name for their small tractors when Magna quit making them??

So does anyone here know anything about this tractor?
Magna Engineering Corp. - History | VintageMachinery.org

Magna's main claim to fame was their introduction, in 1947, of the Shop Smith, a combination lathe, drill press, and tablesaw. They also made some other tools that were labeled Magna; according to a trademark filing, the Magna name was used since 1954, and the products included jointers, jig saws, bandsaws, sanders, and radial arm saws. Don't be confused by some older Shopsmith attachments that were also labeled Magna.

Magna Engineering was acquired by Yuba Power Products, Inc. in the late 1950s. Within a couple of years a group of employees incorporated as Magna American Corp. and acquired the Shopsmith product line.

This firm made Shopsmith combination machine plus other items (possibly including bench vises) for Montgomery Ward & Co., which were sold under the Powr-Kraft name. Most Powr-Kraft products made by Magna Engineering have a model number beginning in TMG, but for unknown reasons some have the prefix TRT (which was usually reserved for products made by Rockwell/Delta).

We have also seen the name Magna Power Tool Corp., on a 4-inch jointer. The label gave the Fort Wayne and Menlo Park locations. We do not know for sure how Magna Power Tool Corporation fits into the timeline, but the jointer appears to be a later model.

Address (1949 Popular Mechanics): 465 California St, San Francisco 4, California.

Information Sources

A correspondent informed us that besides The Shopsmith 10E, 10ER and the later Ward's-exclusive Mk-2, "the company also produced other tools for Montgomery Ward private label Power Kraft aside the ShopSmith model 10E, 10ER and later Mk-2 (Wards exclusive). This was noted in the acquisition proposal later on by Mr. John Folkerth's for Magna America Corp. (formerly Yuba Corp.). Exactly what those other Power Kraft tools and machinery were are unknown and not listed."
We learned of the Magna Power Tool Corporation name from a posting on owwm.org.
A search of Google Books turned up mentions of Magna Power Tool Corp. in issues of Popular Science and Popular Mechanics in 1956-58. One ad says, "Magna Power Tool Corporation / Manufacturers of Shopsmith".

Yuba Power Products, Inc. - History | VintageMachinery.org

Yuba Power Products, Inc. bought Magna Engineering Corp. in the late 1950s; Magna's had introduced the Shopsmith combination machine some 10 years before.

Yuba Power Products sold the Shopsmith line to some employees, who incorporated under the name Magna American Corp.

Yuba Power Products was a subsidiary of Yuba Consolidated Industries, Inc., which also made some woodworking machinery.

Information Sources

Thanks to correspondent James D. Harloff, who reported that his Shopsmith radial arm saw manual—copyright 1959—says that YUBA Power Products, Inc. of Cincinnati, Ohio was a subsidiary of YUBA Consolidated Industries, Inc.

You may have confused Magna Engineering with Magna Corporation was a publicly held company in Flowood, Mississippi, U.S.A. that served as a holding company. Its primary divisions were Mississippi Steel and Magna American. Mississippi Steel was Mississippi's first steel manufacturer beginning operations in 1957. Magna American built garden tillers and other items, as well as manufacturing the Amphicat in Raymond, Mississippi.

In 1984 the company's President, Wesley A. Caldwell, Jr., resigned.

In 1985, the steel division was sold to Birmingham Steel Corporation for approximately 28 million dollars. Magna's controlling stockholders, the Caldwell family of Jackson, Mississippi, took the company private by distributing half the sale proceeds to the stockholders. The Magna American plant was mothballed, then donated to Hinds Community College in 1992.

In 1985, the United States Securities and Exchange Commission sued former company president Wesley A. Caldwell, Jr., of Brandon, Mississippi, claiming that he had received benefits from the company "without review and approval" and violated the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.[1]

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Does anyone know the shift pattern for the 9hp model? I rode it around for about an hour and this is about all I could figure out. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated
View attachment 1496042
MINE is a 3spd with reverse... first gear towards you and right, which you have labled as LLL, reverse across from that, your LR position, 2nd is away from ya and right, your H, and third is straight across to the left...

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
View attachment 1496034
This is one picture of it. I haven't used it yet but everything spins freely
i would love to see it mounted up and specifically see how it mounts.... im not happy with the way mine works yet... cant stop it with it raised, wonder if i could come up with better angles for everything from the real deal...LOL :thThumbsU

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked on up day before yesterday. I drive about 170 miles round trip. I only paid $50 for it. It sat for many years beside a barn in Rhode Island and the hood, steering wheel cap and grille is missing. All but one tire holds air. The rear left is cracked. It seems like someone adapted a coil from something and mounted it behind the dash instead of one under the engine cowl. So far I've only added fresh SAE 30 and checked the gas tank. I'm going to drain the transmission because I know these peerless fill with water from around the shifter without a shifter boot. Then I'm going to see if the carb is clean, but it does need a new main jet and the engine cowl is bent from the last owner taking it off without taking the pulley off first. I will post some pictures of it. I also need to find decals and what the original color is so I can repaint it.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
original colors could have been the teal that many of them are, teal on the top half of the hood and on the full frame, with white on the bottom half-2/3rds of the hood with white dash, seat and fenders, or i have seen orange/white in the same combos for color placement.

i have not found anywhere for replacement decals, but i do have buried in my photobucket i have shots of pretty much all of the decals because i wanted to look into getting some made... just never got around to it.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
umm... not really... i know you can get engine parts thru briggs yet, and you can still get most of the trans parts thru peerless... but past that i would start looking for anothe rparts tractor or take up body and fender repair...LOL

·
Resident Stuped Hillbilly
3 Posts
It’s an interesting enigma! I just joined here, hoping to find information on these. I just picked one up. After reading through here, it seems to be the 19hp “deluxe” model. Someone has gone and painted over the 2 tone scheme, and the motor seems to be completely gone. (As in the crank spins independent of the piston )

I apologize for the bump, I’m curious how your resto has gone?

·
Registered
12 Posts
howdy,here is the reason I joined.I wanted to know more about this machine. I paid 65 bucks for it in 07.I put this running engine on it in 08 and it did run and drive but it jumped out of 3rd gear alot.
it has sat since because I have a bunch of other stuff I am working on.But this is a later this winter project if nothing else but to make it driveable again and keep it sheltered.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,021 Posts
Hopefully some other members will take up the trail of the Magna Corp tractors as the last posts from NYRedneck and bogieboy were in 2015 and 2016 respectively. This and another thread referenced here https://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=205688 really advanced the search for info and other folks that owned a Magna-Trac tractor.
MikeC

61 - 80 of 96 Posts