My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about them?? They were better known for the Shopsmith 5 in 1 wood working station, but they also made small tractors....like this....

This one was made mid sixties, inder the model Magna-trac.....which as I understand it, Struck bought the name for their small tractors when Magna quit making them??

So does anyone here know anything about this tractor?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
It sounds like you know about as much as I could find about them on the web.
I was looking for info for someone else on another site a while back. There isn't much on them out there. Here is what little I found.

Hopefully the Magna-Trac mystery is solved.Our own Walter G submitted this info below.Never did hear anyhmore from the guy thaty submitted this tractor,hopefully he will come along and see the info.

The magna-trac mystery tractor on the Motomow site was made by Magna American corp.
Magna American Corporation
P.O. Box 90 Hwy 18
Raymond, Mississippi 39154
Manufacturers of Choremaster, Tillsmith, Hustler and Private Label yard and garden equipment.

Magna American (Magna Engineering Corp.) is better know for developing the Shopsmith 5-in-1 woodworking machine, ceased production in 1966. The present day Shopsmith Corp. is not connected to Magna American.
Magna, as Magna American referred to them, models included the Briggs & Stratton Model 130292 5 h.p. chain drive tillers no. 500594 and 500595. These models used horizontal shaft Briggs & Stratton engines.
Dub-L-Til was a series of models that were equipped with more then the normal 4 bolo-tines per mounting plate. The 5 h.p. and 8 h.p. chain drive units had 8-bolo-tines per mounting plate. The 3-1/2 h.p. gear drive model had 6-bolo-tines per mounting plate. Magna American flyer for the Dub-L-Til claims "The aggresive tines, dig deeper with a faster forward motion across the ground, along with that smooth, easy-going ride. Takes the strain out of gardening and makes tilling a pleasure". The 5 h.p. and 8 h.p. models used horizontal shaft Briggs & Stratton engines, the 3-1/2 h.p. probably used a vertical shaft Briggs & Stratton engines, the flyer I have does not show the engine.
I found another reference that said they made the Magna-trac tractors.
That's all I found so far. Walter

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL thats all i found so far...from that motomow site.....

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do know that this thing is bulletproof.....was used for 30+ years on a trailer lot moving 30+foot travel trailers on a daily basis.....

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Yup, It's from there site. I'm the one that sent them the info. If you don't get any hits on here you could try Smokstak. Whith a tractor this rare your best bet would be research newsparer and magazine articles from that time period.

Good luck Walter

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha...from what i have seen in the last month of scouring the web, good luck finding one period........only pics i have seen other than mine was that ONE pic on the Motomow site...........that showed up on this site, and one other tractor site.......thats all i found after a month of searching.........:00000060: this is how i feel right now about the searching :pcwiz::comp26:

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Wish you luck. It sometimes harder finding out info on some of these rare tractors then restoring them.
Is this one going to be a resto or a daily user?

Walter

·
Registered
409 Posts
i do know that this thing is bulletproof.....was used for 30+ years on a trailer lot moving 30+foot travel trailers on a daily basis.....
wow. thats impressive...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have one of these. They came in 7-1/4 hp models with a briggs model 19D and there were the 9hp models which came with a Briggs 23D. The mower decks were free floating with rollers and attached at the front axle. The transmission is a peerless, I believe. I think mine is from 1965 or 1966. I believe it was from Ohio, Not Mississipi. These tractors had some releationship to the "Wagner" line of garden tractors. Apparently the IH-RedPower magazine ran an article on how IH had approached magnatrac about building their garden tractor, but werent pleased with the constuction and features so they built their own, the Cub Cadet original. I never did get to see the article, just heard about it. I would love to see any original literature. Would also love to see pictures of anyones factory implements, all I have is the deck, and I think my rear hitch is missing, I don't have a drawbar.

BogieBoy, would it be possible for you to post a picture of your tractor's hitch?

Thank You.

-Chris

BTW, here is a picture of mine

Attachments

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright!!!!!!!! now were getting somewhere!!!!!!!!!

As for the resto/DD issue that walter brought up...the answer is yes.......I will be using it for snow plowing at my shop this winter, then over the summer do a restoration.....mostly just clean and repaint, seeing as any parts will definately be hard to come by........

Chris: I will be working on it tommorw, so I will tak a buch of pics for you!!! I know I have the 3 pt hitch but its currently off the tractor, I will see about putting it on and snapping some pics, both on and off....and I currently have the deck off, and an old generic fit western plow bolted up to it....it looks mean......

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, and Chris, could I bother you for a few pics of yours? Specifically the hood hinges and the exhaust? And some misc pics of graphics and that sorta thing?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Kent

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Kent, I'll be home Friday and will get some pics! I think my hood may be different from yours. It looks like your hood and grill flip forward? My grill is stationary. I'm glad to know there was some kind of 3 point, I've never seen what's supposed to be on the rear of one of these.

Thank You.

-Chris

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the hood and grill both flip forward on mine....do you remember where the exhaust exits the chassis? Mine had a muffler run vertically down throught the frame right in front of the engine.....

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Yes, my hood and grill are like the one pictured for sale, and my exhaust also exits directly out the side like pictured above.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting.....mine exits out the bottom of the chassis....didn't get pics of that, but I did get some pics of the tractor.....

And here is a pic of the 3 pt hitch...the cable for mine is broke, so I didn't mount it up....

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, tuesday the thing ran, but not great, today I put a new muffler on, changed the oil, reset the carb needles to factory spec.....ran almost perfect, tweaked the needles around a 1/2 turn each and it purrs like a kittin....runs really good...I mean REALLY GOOD!!!!!! this thing is back from the dead now!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

In the ad he said it was sold as a kit, and that it had been garaged kept since new. You might want to get in touch with him and see if he has the the manual.
Maybe you could get a copy.

MAGNA-TRAC LAWN TRACTOR,
rare kit tractor from the 60's, garaged since new, only used to plow snow, comes with plow and chains, $500 OBO. (203) 458-6365 (2XI)

1 - 20 of 96 Posts