My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A metal chute is no good, hit something and something has to give...

So I went to TSC and picked up

1 foot of their 3/8" rubber matting.

1 3foot Length of Aluminum 3/4" wide bar stock

2 Steel double pinned hinges, smallest they had, pins are non removable, no predrilled holes.

8 1/4-20 bolts, nuts and washers 1.25" length
4 1/4-20 bolts, nuts and washers, 3/4" in length.

I bent the aluminum stock to conform to the shape of the discharge. Then layed my hinges onto the deck and found a good spacing. I marked their position, then took them to the drill press and drilled 2 holes towards the center of each hinge on one side, and 2 on the outter edge of the opposite side, so with the bolt heads facing each other, it still closes flush.

I then drilled matching holes in the aluminum frame/support, and cut out a square of rubber and layed it on the frame and drilled holes through the hinges, support, and into the rubber so it all mated up. Lastly I drilled 2 holes on each side of the frame and into the riubber, to hold 4 total bolts that will attach the rubber to the frame itself, no hinges.

Then I bolted the hinges to the deck using the inner most bolt holes on the hinges, then layed the aluminum frame onto the previously placed bolts int othe top of the hinges, then slid the ruibber on and attached with nuts and washers.

Then I used a marker to round out the shape of the rubber flap, and used a sharp knife to trim it up.

Looks great, should function just as well as it looks.

I took pics but you cant tell what it is, too dark out, its been a wet rainy day.,,ill go out in a bit and try to get more light on it and show it off.

The rubber is able to be lifted up, or the rubber will give when up against an object.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
875 Posts
I really like that!

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
That beats the one I fabed up using a JD Universal deflector, probally a lot cheeper too. I'll keep this in mind if mine dosn't work.

Attachments

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
Nice deflector! Certainly less $$ than trying to find a stock one from JD.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the Idea from Simplicity Commercial Z mowers, they use a similar setup, basically made out of a rubber mat with a metal frame, no spring. Theirs is more complicated and they get well over $100 for it.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive got about 7.50 invested in the whole thing, and it took about 30 minutes to make, most of which was measuring and marking, then drilling.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
That looks like a good solution to your problem. It also looks like it should flex well if you bump into anything.

:thanku:for documenting and sharing the effort!:trink39::thThumbsU

·
Registered
989 Posts
I really like the rubber idea. Good job. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
design looks great, but if that is the rubber I think it is (from TSC on the 4' wide roll) I fear it will tear apart if it catches the slightest snag... it is not solid rubber but rather appears to be pressed together from recycled stuff... ???

hope I am wrong!

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
Looks good!

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its the recycled rubber mat, seems to be pretty stout stuff, iy was hard to cut even with a fresh carpet cutters razor, I was able to pickup the side of the deck using the mat...we will see.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,075 Posts
That one will NEVER rust out on you, Red!

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
Nice work. The deflector looks great. Thanks for sharing.

·
322 jd. with loader
386 Posts
look's good ,nice job , thanks for sharing i already wrote it all down just in case i need to do same.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That is very cool. The deflector and its mounting on my 50" is in pretty tough shape. Will file this idea away for next summer.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I may go this route in the future. Thanks for the post RED.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts