My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1980 chipper is having problems the expandable block that holds the flywheel in place on the main shaft. it allways gets comes loose and the flywheel gets all sloppy and bangs around a lot I have replaced the expandable block but it just comes loose any ideas? it has new bearings and new hammers when you put a branch in the flywheel chipping part the fly wheel gets loose I have not tryed threadlock yet. might be time for a new chipper! ha ha
Thanks, Brian H.

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
Never worked on a Mckissick. Are you describing a taperlok bushing. If so and it's been run loose, the taper is probably worn down enough so the split closes up before it tightens on the shaft.
Just guessing,
Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats right its a taper bushing . Even when I put a new bushing on it still gets loose. can the inside of the flywheel taper wear out??And if so I probably need to get a new flywheel.
Thanks brian h.

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
It's possible and you should also check for wear on the shaft. Sometimes you can squeeze the split closed in a vise and make a cut thru it w/ a hacksaw and get enough extra clearance for it to tighten up. Is this direct drive or belt driven?
Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The chipper is belt driven . I think when you insert the screw it expands the tapper bushing mablye I can get that blue die they use for rebuilding engines to see if it fits in right. it has allso vibrated most of its life I will check on the cost of a new flywheel
Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts