My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching old posts didn't turn up a definitive answer for me. Does anyone know what size wrench is correct for the reel clutch adjustment on an MA210? I recall hazily from past reading that a thin wrench was recommended for clearance? The IPL seems to indicate a 7/8 inch?

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
aw,

When I stand in front of my MA210, on the right end of the reels is a 1 5/16" nut compressing the two Bellview washers.

Have you figured out your "movement problem"?

Roger,

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
My tools of choice for adjusting the reel clutches are a big vise grip or a big adjustable. I think I actually do have a 1 5/16 open end wrench now in one of the toolboxes, but I find myself using the adjustables. The trick is to block the impellers from turning using a broom handle or some other object. I usually don't adjust the reel clutches unless they are *super* loose, as people prefer different settings and I like to let folks make their own decisions. Personally, I prefer mine to be very tight to achieve maximum snow-throwing power --- but I don't have to worry about phone books and other foreign objects in my driveway. I know some of the folks that I sell to use their machines commercially or live in places where chunks of asphalt, phone books, mail, etc. might get in the way. YMMV -- Once I picked up a gallon milk jug with my MA211 and it took an hour to manuever it out of the impeller!

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
I'm glad there are no slip clutches and bearings on dozer blades and that's all we need, if we need anything here in Eastern NC! Hope you get your reels adjusted.

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
I'm glad there are no slip clutches and bearings on dozer blades and that's all we need,
There are few things that are more impressive or fun to operate than a Gravely blower with plenty of power behind it. If anyone has not had the experience of running a blower in 16" of dry snow, they have missed out on something quite extraordinary. It is even fun to watch.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree with Richard !!! 16" of snow is not even a work out for a Gravely. 2 or 3 ft is alot of fun with a 34" MA blower with not a cloud in the sky and the wind just perfect along a busy road. I have had over a dozen cars at a time pulled over watching. I love my Gravely's !!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are few things that are more impressive or fun to operate than a Gravely blower with plenty of power behind it. If anyone has not had the experience of running a blower in 16" of dry snow, they have missed out on something quite extraordinary. It is even fun to watch.
Even just the five inches we just got today was fun. Nothing like throwing snow 25' at a comfortable 1/2 throttle. :fing32: I will admit some extra personal excitement due to the first storm I could really use the snowblower on and the fact that my PTO clutch is solid under load, but I'd warrant that was duly tempered by a wacky lift rod, chute randomly falling over, dead battery (and charging system?), and throwing the U-joint twice. :banghead3 I think I may need to adjust my reel clutch too...

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I will confess to being disappointed. Here in central mass we got a measly 1.5" of mostly slush. Not worth firing up a blower for that. Last winter was a *****, but I had a pile of fun with my 812 w/ 38" blower. I fondly remember throwing snow 50 feet, and inadvertently putting it on the roof of my barn. Sigh.

I did get out the L8 with duals and a plow, to clean the walk, but that was more me getting a gravely fix than actually needing the work.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Use a big adjustable or pipe wrench like AJ stated. Manual has a "Proper" torque but i have always cranked down as hard as i could, never had a problem and as Mark can testify he has seen mine in action with the kohler 16 and it is out of this world for distance and height. Sometimes the nut loosens up but my fix was to drill a small hole through the nut and one on the reel to accomodate .032 inch safety wire and the problem was gone forever. C.V.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks CV. It turns out a 1-5/16 is actually slightly oversized. It's probably the best fit you can get in a fixed wrench, but because of this, an adjustable may be best to use. There is plenty of clearance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts