My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the "older" propel gearbox on the new to me Mower I have been playing with. I love this thing, but it gear box it giving me ****. It works in 3rd and 2nd, but not first. It just wont go. Curious if a pin has sheared inside. Also my drive belt is probably stretched to the limit and the bailer cable on the propel is a couple threads away from being useless.

Ahh the fun of a new mower. Just need some answers and input. Thanks Guru's.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't know that I will be able to give you any helpful advice on getting your first gear working, but if you haven't yet done so, there is an M-series repair manual available as a free download at lawnboy.com. It about an 8.5 MB download, and it is pretty comprehensive. From the main page, click on the "parts" link on the left side. Then you'll enter your model number, pick the correct sub-model, and then click the "Manuals" link at the bottom. That will give you the oportunity to download the 174 page "Lawn-Boy M-Series WPM Service Manual." )

I also have an M21BMR model, but to be honest, I have hardly ever used the first speed on mine. 99% of the life of my mower has been in 3rd gear. I wouldn't really sweat it too much if you never got first working, as long as 2nd and 3rd work well.
Glad you got the mower, and good luck getting things working well.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, 1st probably wont be used any if at all. Its just the fact I want it to to work. I do have the manual downloaded.I will take my cover off and check on the condition of things in the gearbox.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
It could be an internal issue with the gear, but you should check to make sure the cable is properly adjusted. Look up the procedure like adkinsca mentioned.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Probably more of a cable adjustment problem than anything, I have had 5 different M-Series trans. apart and have never found a gear problem with any of them but, have seen cable adjustment be a problem. I have taken these apart and cleaned them, then filled them back up with 80w-90 gear lube, makes them much easier to pull backward, you just have to remember to add a little lube once in a while, has worked for me and I own 5 M's.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, sounds like cleanging the gear box and a refill of 80/90w , just a change of diet.

As for the cable, are you guys saying that the detent may not have enought throw anymore?
I can adjust the gear box cable, but he bailer control cable is just about 2 threads away from being maxed out.

Nothing new there, just a cable swap (what are saturdays good for anyway).

Hank, I think Im sold on the M series now.........the sound of this motor is just awesome. I love the compression realease on exhuast when shutting down.......it makes me smile.

Does this mean I will start bleeding green?............

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Hank, how are you filling these with gear lube, and how does it hold a "fill"? My case was sealed with silicone but I didn't think they were oil tight? If I were to use an oil, I'd opt for a liquid grease or bentonite grease. More fluid than #00 or #1, but stick thick enough not to run as much as straight gear oil. Just a thought.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a transmission that would work for you. Never tried it personally, but seems to work ok in that it shifts to all gears and everything. I was going to open it up, clean it out, and repack it.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Here's what mine looked like inside when I decided to PM it. The mower didn't have much time on it when I bought it, nor had I given it hardly any when I split the case.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like no mouisture found its way in, thats good. Im going to clean it up and take pics tonight for sure. I want to show this baby off!

Anyone have a bagger attachment for this, the bag and hanger?

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Pic on the right, gear locking tab/check ball indicated some mositure was present as you can see the red rust build up in the case.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, but still pretty clean. My 10515 shows sign of previous neglect. I should wiper it down or parts wash it, but thats about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts