My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new LX280 5 years ago. I purposely bought more tractor than I needed as I wanted years of trouble free mowing with the ability to pull the occasional wagon full of mulch to the garden. So, with 80 (yes 80) hours on the machine the transmission started to slip this past weekend. Doing a little more research I am confident that it is on its way out.

Replacement tranny will be $900.

I would really like to sell it and replace it with something else (NOT DEERE, though the issue is with tough torq, not Deere directly) but I can't figure out how to justify that from financial perspective. I am guessing that the tractor is worth about $1000 the way it sits.

Mt dealer says he won't open the transmission up, just replace it. Assuming I wanted to (or could find someone who would) The rebuild kit from Tuff Torq is about $600.

I even thought about buying a K66 from tuff torq (the original was a k62). It would be an interesting project but not sure it makes sense.

Any other thoughts?

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Doing a little more research I am confident that it is on its way out.
But, are you a 100%?
Before I spent 900 bucks, or buy a different mower, I would want to be 100% sure the rear end was toast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But, are you a 100%?
Before I spent 900 bucks, or buy a different mower, I would want to be 100% sure the rear end was toast.

speaking with my dealer his words were "you exactly described a failing transmission"

so 100? no, 90% sure.

Even if I can stretch it out for a year or so I am still looking at a significant bill.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Even if I can stretch it out for a year or so I am still looking at a significant bill.
If it was me, I would start looking now for a replacement rear end for it.
Ebay, Craigslist, junk yards,with that few of hours on that mower, it is practically new yet.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I just received an E-mail from a fellow down here looking for a trans for one ...Those trans a re hard to find used and if you do they still cost a lot ...I was quoted 600 used from one guy ....I could see 300-400 maybe but 600 thats just nuts

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
Roughrider,
I have a good VERY low hour trans from an LX279, fits most of the LX series including the LX280. I offered it to the op but have not heard back from him, if you have a customer looking for one I will sell this one at a reasonable price and ship it. PM me if interested.

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roughrider,
I agree. I have found a couple of used ones in the $600 range but at that price I would pay the extra $300 and get a new one.

Eddyyy302,
I am still looking at options so I don't know if I am interested or not. I don't want to waste your time or mine discussing price and other logistics unless I am pretty sure I want it. I will be in touch as soon as I know what I want to do. I also understand that you may sell it in the mean time.

·
Registered
378 Posts
speaking with my dealer his words were "you exactly described a failing transmission"

so 100? no, 90% sure.

Its difficult to diagnosis a machine just from describing the issue.I get people who actually call me and hold the phone up to the mower and ask if i can tell whats wrong with it.lol.A belt slipping,a bad cooling fan or bad tensioner can give symptoms of a bad tranny as well.Its always best to diagnosis it by looking at it.There are greedy dealers who would love nothing more than to sell you a new tranny and then sell your good used one for profit also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, I did skip ahead in my first post.

When mowing on Sunday I noticed for the first time that there was a lack of speed/power when backing up. As the mower got warmer it got worse. I didn't notice it when moving forward but I suspect it might be there as well. It does still move forward faster than I want to mow. I took my ear plugs out and it is whining more than it used to when moving.

I checked the belt and tensioner, both look good. Oil level in the transmission is above the minimum line.

My plans as of right now. drain and re-fill the transmission. Likely with slightly thicker oil. Hopefully this at least gets me through the fall.

Assuming this does not help pretty dramatically, I think I am going to upgrade to the K66 over the winter.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Bummer to hear that about the 280 (tranny going at 80 hrs is about the same chance as winning the lottery) If I were you I would for sure make the best deal on a tranny new or used. I just traded in a 2004 280 with 380 hours on it and it was never babied and worked harder than most would do and it never skipped a beat. Stick with the Deere even with the cost of a new tranny it will still be cheaper and outlive any box store brand.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
If you change your tranny fluid I would recommend you check out the sticky in the JD sticky forum by stladrill http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=113369

Hopefully the fluid change will help. If not, depending on whether you want to tackle it or not, the tranny can be repaired, went through that process just recently with great results on a K46 tranny in my L120 :fing32:.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Before freaking out on the tranny I would get a second or 3rd opinion. I've been told things by mechanics and dealers what they thought might be the problem. With only 80 hours on it there is a real good chance it's something else, however anything is possible. First thing I would do is pull the deck off and belts to looks them over. Drain the trans fluid into a clean pan and be looking for a large amount of shavings. If you've never changed the trans fluid before some shavings is normal. Have you replaced any of the belts before and did you use a JD belt? Tensioner springs go bad also. Good luck! slkpk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took a shot at making an appeal to John Deere. I am (way) outside the normal warranty period but at only 80 hours I was hopeful that they would recognise that there must have been something wrong inside this transmission when it was new.

I also made the argument that since I bought this tractor, JD has changed their warranty to cover a significantly longer time period. Now, I would still be outside that period but it would only be by a few months and those are the exact situations where they can and do help with the expenses of repairs like this.

No dice. a firm no with no real interest in discussing options.

Right now I have to say that I have a pretty bad taste in my mouth as it relates to Deere. I spent over $4k on a tractor and now am looking at another $1000 to fix a tractor that should be just good and broke in.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Sir, cut your losses and get a mower with a 4 year/300/400 hour warranty.
I know you are ticked off, but any one here would of told you Deere wasn't going to help you out.
My mower has a 4 year/300 hour warranty, I will probably trade/sell it with a year left and very many hours left also.
Some people here will buy a new Deere and keep it till the end of time, not me.
I know what you are thinking and going thru, but just step back, take a deep breath, and think this out.
I'm sure you will let us all know what you decide to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts