My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:greendr:

Starting with Annual tune up I have replaced Oil, Hydro, Fuel Filter, Air Filter, and Spark Plug (twice)...

After mowing a bit is has died and has a tendancy to spit and sputter before dying but not out of gas or low on oil. This is an electriacl problem of some sort.

Now it will not fire. I have fuel. I have a tiny, tiny tiny spark at end of Plug wire but nothing at end of plug. SOOOOO...
1. I replaced the plug. No change.
2. Took off Magneto / Coil and cleaned and put back on... No change.
3. Replaced the coil unit.... No change.
4. Replaced the Voltage regulator... No change.

Does the circuit board under the dash have anything to do with boosting the voltage or anything like that?

What to try next?

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
:MTF_wel2:Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
Be sure to Register for Your State!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:greendr:

Starting with Annual tune up I have replaced Oil, Hydro, Fuel Filter, Air Filter, and Spark Plug (twice)...

After mowing a bit is has died and has a tendancy to spit and sputter before dying but not out of gas or low on oil. This is an electriacl problem of some sort.

Now it will not fire. I have fuel. I have a tiny, tiny tiny spark at end of Plug wire but nothing at end of plug. SOOOOO...
1. I replaced the plug. No change.
2. Took off Magneto / Coil and cleaned and put back on... No change.
3. Replaced the coil unit.... No change. $54.00 from local Dealer
4. Replaced the Voltage regulator... No change $53.00 from Local Dealer
5. Replaced the Ignition module (Circuit Board) $110.00 from local dealer.
$217.00 poorer and wishing I had a Walmart Rally instead of a John, "never had so many problems with any other mower I have ever owned" , deere.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Must mean you have bad connection at the plug/plug wire. Or the coil is not close enough to the fly wheel.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Unfortunately you change some parts for nothing. (no offence)

You have to do some basic testing before to locate the problem, I don't know your tractor in particular but it's look like the wire between the spark-plug and the coils as to much resistance, is a common issue on small engine.
Did you adjust the gap of the coil/flywheel?
When you replace the coil did he came with a new spark-plug wire?

If not my guess is you need to replace it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts