My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 JD LX255 that works and runs great. About a month ago, it had starting problems. After spending couple of days cleaning carburetor, changing spark plugs etc. I realized it was just not getting gas. Somehow the gas line was empty. It seems gas is gravity fed. I sucked gas into the gas pipe and the tractor has worked great since then. Well, yesterday it happened again. Although it was a 10 min fix because i knew what the problem was, I have two reasons why this is happening:

1. My gas line is leaking which is why air gets into it.
2. Fuel pump on this is bad. It is not an electronic fuel pump, just a manual one.

Tractor has always been parked inside and I always use fuel stabilizer.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
You kinda answered your own question. Since the gas is gravity fed, if there is no vent or the vent is blocked, there will be no flow.
The gas cap should have a pinhole usually covered by a rubberlike material on the inside. Use some compressed air to blow it out and perhaps replace the cap. There may also be debris blocking the output of the fuel tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I blew back from gas line into the gas tank to remove debris if any and I could hear the air in the gas tank. When I blew in the fuel pump, I could blow only one way--the right way in which gas is supposed to go. I replaced the gas cap as well as I know it can go bad by creating a vacuum. What should I check next?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have to special order the pump for around $50. There are a lot of compatible non JD pumps available. Should I wait and order oem? Considering this is manual, can I not open the pump and clean it? Not even sure what the pump does considering it is not even powered. Perhaps it only allows gas to flow one way--more like a check valve.

·
2,859 Posts
I would change the fuel line.....and empty out the tank before spending any money on parts...can you post a picture of what you believe to be the check valve?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Before ordering a pump, check some more.If you remove fuel line from filter to tank, you should have fuel running out. If so, remove fuel line from filter to pump and again you should have fuel running out. You need to know where fuel is getting to and where it's not coming out of! Could be very simply a clogged filter.

Fuel pump IS powered. An arm comes off of the back of the pump and into crankcase...probably driven by camshaft.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Alright, let's start over a bit. You have a fuel delivery problem. When you remove the fuel line between the fuel filter and the gas tank, do you have gravity flow? If not, something inside the tank is blocking flow. Blowing air into this line only dislodges that something in the tank for a short time until that something moves back and blocks it again. Drain the fuel tank and clean thoroughly. Replacing the fuel line can help since this tractor is 15+ years old.
What about the fuel filter? Should be replaced yearly.
If you have determined free flow to the fuel pump, then check the output of the fuel pump by disconnecting the fuel line to the carb and try to start. There should be fuel flowing out of the fuel pump. You could get a repair kit for the fuel pump and try that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, let's start over a bit. You have a fuel delivery problem. When you remove the fuel line between the fuel filter and the gas tank, do you have gravity flow? If not, something inside the tank is blocking flow. Blowing air into this line only dislodges that something in the tank for a short time until that something moves back and blocks it again. Drain the fuel tank and clean thoroughly. Replacing the fuel line can help since this tractor is 15+ years old.
What about the fuel filter? Should be replaced yearly.
If you have determined free flow to the fuel pump, then check the output of the fuel pump by disconnecting the fuel line to the carb and try to start. There should be fuel flowing out of the fuel pump. You could get a repair kit for the fuel pump and try that.
Fuel filter is new. I do replace every year with genuine JD filter. I did blow air into the tank. And I could hear bubbles. I do have gravity flow upto the filter. There is no fuel from the line post pump if I crank it. But I am not expecting it because it is unpowered/mechanical/manual pump, which is why I call it a glorified check valve.

I must note that when I get the tractor started, it runs fine. I used it without a problem for two hours each time once a week for about a month. When I let it sit for a couple of weeks, loss of gas happened again. I do not see any gas on the floor, but it could be a slow leak with gas evaporating before hitting ground. There is no gas smell either.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Disconnect line from filter to pump and verify flow. Pump IS mechanical and operates when engine runs/cranks. Reconnect line to pump, disconnect line from pump to carb and crank engine. No fuel means bad pump, fuel means carb problem. Bob

·
Registered
162 Posts
What rwmeyer is trying to say is that your pump is not just a check valve, otherwise it would not be called a pump but rather a check valve. The older pumps are mechanically powered from the engine internals, usually from a camshaft lobe which actuates an arm that works the pump mechanism. You can't/won't see this until/unless you remove it. What I would do is exactly as rwmeyer states. What you are doing in the first step is ensuring that the pump has a good supply of fuel, and if it does then the second step verifies that the pump is moving that fuel on down the line to the carburetor. I am not familiar with these engines at all, but there should also be a minimum fuel pressure spec somewhere, probably between 2 and 3 PSI (it won't be much because all it has to do is fill the carb bowl) which you can also check if you find that the pump appears to be functioning.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Was your starting problem only after the tractor had sat for a while? Our lx255 has to be cranked a lot if it has sat for a week or two. If you run it every few days it starts in just a few cranks. I haven't really checked into the problem, but figure the fuel in the bowl of the carb must be leaking out or evaporating. I am thinking about trying an electric fuel pump and see if it will start right away after sitting. I don't really have an answer yet, just more questions.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts