My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Be sure to check the bearings in the idler pulleys
I checked them late last summer and they were good. What I found today, is that the rear pulley I am replacing, had no cupped washer, washer, and snap ring on top. Only a snap ring on bottom, and the fan sitting loosely on top. Not sure when all of that popped off, so I'll probably get it running enough to pull it into my shop where I can get it up higher in the air, and re-check everything.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Oh yes the hood. If your grill and bumper are still in usable condition this is a somewhat affordable solution. Still not cheap but better than $700 a couple years ago. I'm working on a tractor right now that has the bolt on solution if you don't mind non factory, still a John Deere hood though. I'll post some pic's in a day or two. Upper Lower Hood Kit Fits John Deere LX178 LX188 LX 178 188 AM1352 AM117724 | eBay
Very interested in seeing the bolt-on solution. I have been mulling over different ways to use other-brands hood, as the front of the mower has a good starting point to build off of.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Be sure to check the bearings in the idler pulleys
You made me think last night and this morning, after I replied to your post. Could be one of the idlers is tight/locked and that caused the damage to the rear pulley, possibly even popping the snap ring and washers? Perhaps I'd better physically check them before I attempt to move it. I did look under there, because I thought maybe the belt had got in a bind. I didn't see anything, but now that I have the belt loose, it would be a good time to check. Thanks!

·
Money Pit
431 Posts
So here it is. There's three different tractors that all share the same LX100 GT platform. Early Scotts, Sabre, and late Honda. All are the same but different. They come up for sale quite often and the hoods are generally in good condition. They are a bolt on perfect fit. Just imagine the hood painted John Deere green. Most people who own or are selling these tractors have no clue that they are just a modified LX. Very high quality machines.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I really like that. It will look really nice when you paint it green and maybe decal it. There is a lawnmower graveyard about 40 miles from me. I've heard they have tons of old mowers. Hopefully, they'll have one of those. I have a Poulan Pro hood that fits nice front and back, but the sides are exposed. It wouldn't look too bad, better than none, although the one you have looks miles better.

Hey, next time you're around it, would you look at see where the return spring hooks to that stows the orange park brake lever? Mine went missing and I have another on order. The parts diagram didn't show where it hooks onto the frame at. I see the hole on the lever, but I'm not sure where it hooks to on the frame. I haven't taken the battery off yet, it could be I need to do that to find it. Thanks!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts