My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does locking the park brake supposed to release tension on the primary drive belt on an LX188? Doing that doesn't seem to affect the tension on mine. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Locking the parking brake will release most of the tension on the drive belt. If the bigger idler is slid all the way to the rear it may still be somewhat tight. If you loosen the bolt on the bigger idler and slide it forward, the belt should loosen up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply, rastas.

I think I might have a problem with the rear pulley, possible stripped. Not sure if I need to just take the seat off to get to it, or the entire shell/body, or whatever you call it. Looked on the internet for just a few minutes the other day about the particulars for changing it out on the LX188, but haven't found any detailed instructions yet. I'm going to grab the toolbox within the next few days and start on it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
174 Posts
To remove the rear fender deck, remove the two bolts just behind the seat (you may have to slide the seat forward to get to them.) Also remove the two nuts under the foot rests (one nut on each side). Before you can lift it off, pull out the black plastic knob that adjusts the deck height, and unplug the switch under the seat. It is heavy to lift the fender deck and the seat, but it can be done if you do not want to remove the seat first.

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
That is correct, the height adjust knob may be stuck, if so pry it off with a couple of screwdrivers with equal pressure all around.
Just about everthing on a LX188 the pan has to come off LOL

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies, BigGoodJohn and Katt. I looked it over a few minutes ago and it appears that the aftermarket seat I have is partially covering the mounting bolts for the pan. I'd probably take it off anyway to lighten it. I read somewhere the other day that on some JD's the fuel tank needs to be removed to get to the rear pulley. Luckily mine just has fumes in it, if I do indeed need to remove it.

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Most LX 188's look like this, you can usually just move the tank aside without disconnecting.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the picture, Katt. This will also be a good opportunity to clean things up a little. Doesn't seem to be as bad of a repair as what I originally feared.

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
This is my LX 188 when it was finished. good Luck and keep going !!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the pan mostly loose, although something under the right foot-rest, where the plate and rod come out for the forward and reverse peddles seems to be holding on to it. I glanced under real quick and didn't see anything. It would lift off pretty easily if it weren't for that side still being stuck. This is a modified reverse with the long peddle. I took it off, but don't see anything holding anything to the pan.

What I've done so far is removed each nut from under left and right foot-rests. Removed seat, and then removed the two nuts holding the pan in the rear. As I said, something is still holding or maybe it's just stuck to the forward/reverse assy under there. I haven't grabbed a block of wood and a hammer and smacked it yet.

I came back in to warm up. It quit up by the house, right next to the carport. I pushed it under the over-hang, so I'm working outdoors on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Should just be the seat sensor wire and the deck height adjustment knob after the 4 body nuts/bolts. The right footrest takes some fanageling to get around the pedals. Have to lift the back up pretty high and work it out

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks rastas, I went out there and did a little wiggling and it came right off. Not too bad at all taking the pan off. I have heard other models are worse.

Anyway, the pulley was not held on by a retaining ring at the top, but there is one at the bottom. The fan was just sitting on top of it, not connected in any way at all. The bottom of the pulley had been rubbing, although it did not damage anything below it. Just kind of rubbed a shiny spot.

Does this look like the correct pulley?

Does the fan sit on top the pulley, and then the retaining ring goes over the fan?

Curious of why the pulley rubbed on the bottom.

Also, the splines on the shaft don't seem to be very deep.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, found my drawing. Looks like I need an AM126129 pulley, M87534 spring washer, M111963 washer, and an M111965 snap ring. That is, if I don't have a major problem that I am not aware of. I'm still puzzled on why the bottom of the pulley got into the control arm below it. It barely rubbed, but I wouldn't think it should do that. they're not showing two washers, or I would think that the bottom snap ring would have a washer on top of it, then the pulley on top of that washer.

John Deere Parts Catalog

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It looks like its just worn out, got wobbly and rubbed. Very nice machines. Theres a reason why they were $6,000.

I just checked, and the shaft is tight, so I'm thinking you're correct. The inside of the pulley spines were worn and that let the pulley rock slightly. Didn't know they were 6 grand originally. I have been wondering how much they cost new. Huge aftermarket seat, but I like it. Just need to do something about a hood. Thinking of doing something like rayjay's hot-rod style. Thanks for your reply, Dave.

Attachments

·
Money Pit
427 Posts
I just checked, and the shaft is tight, so I'm thinking you're correct. The inside of the pulley spines were worn and that let the pulley rock slightly. Didn't know they were 6 grand originally. I have been wondering how much they cost new. Huge aftermarket seat, but I like it. Just need to do something about a hood. Thinking of doing something like rayjay's hot-rod style. Thanks for your reply, Dave.
Oh yes the hood. If your grill and bumper are still in usable condition this is a somewhat affordable solution. Still not cheap but better than $700 a couple years ago. I'm working on a tractor right now that has the bolt on solution if you don't mind non factory, still a John Deere hood though. I'll post some pic's in a day or two. Upper Lower Hood Kit Fits John Deere LX178 LX188 LX 178 188 AM1352 AM117724 | eBay

1 - 20 of 25 Posts