My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching and can't seem to find any FAQ on rebuilding this transaxle. I spoke with TuffTorq and they do not include a rebuild manual or instructions, other than that very brief guide they have online.

I wonder if anyone has any literature on doing this job, that I can probably handle myself with insight on the right fastener torques, sequence, etc.

With the cost of the kit, and the value of the LX188, it's just not worth the cost of the labor the local dealer is asking, so it's coming down to me doing it myself, or parting it out.

Also, when talking to TuffTorq, they said there were a number of different versions. I gave her the serial number, and they said that didn't mean anything? What?? She said I needed to call the JD dealer with my serial and hope they will give me the original JD PN# for the entire transaxle. Then she can cross-reference this.

However, I'm concerned that any revision over the years of the original part number, could end up getting me the wrong parts. The only numbers on the unit I could find was the serial and no model number, which was located new the Oil Tank.

Any insight on figuring out exactly what version/model I have and finding a detailed rebuild manual?

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind. Turns out that they do have a nice manual on the complete disassembly.

However, do you really need to tear everything down? isn't it typically just the Hydro Pumps that go? I wonder what's in the entire $525 rebuild kit? I'm sure the axles, input shaft and gears are all find. The tractor drives fine, just stalls going up hills so definitely it's just with the pump(s).

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
I would venture to say you are probably right in that everything is not needed to be replaced. The pump/motor as they call them are the most important parts that I found were critical in the K46 repair I did. No doubt the K61 is a beefier transmission with some extra things the lower end transmission don't have, but the principal of operation is the same :kens:.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As an update, I spoke with TT and after reviewing all of my options, with Derrick over there, he said I had to go with the complete rebuild kit, which is $485.25 plus ~$20 shipping. Evidently something with the pump motor has to be changed so you have to get the whole thing. Bummer.

So, seeing I'm pretty committed to getting a new x540, I wonder if the ROI on rebuilding the transaxle makes sense. After reading that expanded manual, the job seems pretty straight forward. Just can't fathom the dealer wanting $1,200 for the "repair".

However, I just wonder if it's better just to part it out? Everything else works great, deck, 38" snowblower, etc, so I just don't know if it's worth the effort. What's a good used LQ LX188 motor going for now a days?

I did notice on Tractorbynet, they had a quite impressive thread on rebuilding the K46, which seems somewhat similar. Too bad there's not one for the K61 that can help point out some of the tricky points?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts