My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting tired of pulling back on the mower handle everytime I wanted to lift my snowblower last winter. So I decided I needed a power operated lift just like the bigger tractors. After looking at several methods I selected a JD hydraulic lift cylinder from a 140 coupled to a Mercruiser hydraulic trim unit.
This was a cheap project. The cylinder was $11.01 on eBay and the pump was $10.00. The hoses were the most expensive part. I had them made at my local Deere store for $50. Here are some pictures of the project.

First I fabricated a cylinder mount and welded that to the frame.

Next I flipped the rockshaft end for end and cut the center from the lift arm. I needed the arm center to attach a bracket to the rockshaft for the cylinder.

Next I temporarily hung the cylinder to determine the geometry for the rockshaft bracket. It was ugly, but workable. You might notice the orientation of the lifting arms on the rockshaft are in the wrong position. I eventually had to cut them off, flip them over, and reweld them to get the arms in the original orientation.

Here the cylinder is hung, bracketed to the rockshaft,and plumbed. The lifting arms have been reoriented too. I am going to have to add a heat shield to keep the exhuast from baking the hydraulic lines. You can see I had to do some hit and miss with the cylinder attachment to the bracket. I'll clean that up after the field trials are over.

I just bent up a quick bracket for the hydraulic unit and welded it right to the back of the blower. This will work out nice for removal since I can just un-pin the cylinder, unplug the wires and the whole system stays with the blower. These units are setup with 3 wires; a ground, an up, and a down power wires so no relays are required. Nice.

I am extremely happy with results. The unit lifts and lowers in just less then 4 seconds. I operate it with a SPDT switch that sits on the pod just under my chute joystick.

So now I have a 28k BTU Heater, new work lights, electric thrower controls...Now if only it would snow!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't get that hot in there, even with the higher temps we are having. Either that heater is over-rated, or my cab has 27.5k BTU heat loss.

·
Shop Teacher & Proud Dad
243 Posts
I have found that same pump on ebay.

Does it store it's own hydraulic fluid?

I want to add 3rd hydraulics on back of my 425 so I can run rear blade and front blade for snow. This sounds like a perfect solution.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Mercruiser pump is complete with reservoir. I have no idea how many PSI it puts out, but it has plenty of power. I have barely 2 inches of moment arm pushing up around 75 pounds of snow thrower. Thats over 450 lbf at the cylinder and it barely bogs down.
And they are pretty tough little hydraulic units. I think I got this one cheap because it had been submerged. The insides were a mess. I cleaned up the armature with a wire wheel and it just purrs now. Marine components rule in that they always minimize components that may corrode.
The complete fill for my setup less than a quart. Odd though, this one uses ATF.

·
Super Moderator
17,719 Posts
Excellent Job I Like the Fact That Your Hydraulic Pump and reservoir are On the Blower and the fact Outside Of removing the Blower sub frame it's what 2 pins extra to remove and One electrical connector:thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Very nice parts identification, acquisition, design, fabrication, and documentation work! It looks very good and a lot easier to work than the stock manual design.

Where is your switch?
:thanku:for sharing the project and pics!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The switch is on a panel with the chute joystick that I mounted to the deck lift arm. Just about where my finger is in this photograph. It works out nice. I can put the lifting arm down (forward), and out of the way when I am transporting or getting in and out. Then pull it back up close when I need to operate the blower.

You can see the joystick / panel in an video I made prior to the deck lift. It is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yQfs0ccVIc

·
Shop Teacher & Proud Dad
243 Posts
Where did you get that joystick? I just ordered the hydraulic pump and want to use it to lift and lower a rear blade. The electric actuator on the Kolpin just isn't man enough, so I am going to switch it out to hydraulic with the pump. I have a toggle switch from an electric actuator, but I want to be able to operate it with winter gloves on. I intend on mounting it on the rear fender next to the drivers seat.

any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Well it looks like you'll get a chance to use it today and let us know how it works out for you. slkpk

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was getting tired of pulling back on the mower handle everytime I wanted to lift my snowblower last winter. So I decided I needed a power operated lift just like the bigger tractors. After looking at several methods I selected a JD hydraulic lift cylinder from a 140 coupled to a Mercruiser hydraulic trim unit.
This was a cheap project. The cylinder was $11.01 on eBay and the pump was $10.00. The hoses were the most expensive part. I had them made at my local Deere store for $50.

Where did you find that pump for ten bucks? I looked on ebay now and there isn't any on there for less then 40

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You don't want a $10 pump anyway. The one I got died on the first day. I took it apart and it had been submerged. Bearings were shot. I have another one on the way from Florida that I paid $68 for. This guy guarantees it to be like new.

Here is one for $19 though, and there are quite a few posted for less than $100 : http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMC-TRIM-PU..._Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item19cca3766f

In the mean time I let some fluid out of my lift cylinder to keep the blower up about an inch off the ground and did what I could. I did get stuck once but it was fairly easy to dig out.

And I was mistaken in all of my post. The pump is an OMC Cobra pump. I liked it because it has an aluminum reservoir. Many other types use a plastic reservoir and I didn't want that on my machine.

·
Shop Teacher & Proud Dad
243 Posts
I ended up finding one on ebay for $60 + $15 ship. Add the $15 for the joystick. I just have to find a cylinder and I will have my homemade version of the Kolpin 3pt hitch system with independent hydraulics.

I could use some advice since I have not worked with hydraulics other than using them, to mount 2 couplers at the back of the tractor so that I can quick connect the hoses from the lift. I also want to do the same with a box scraper.

thanks again

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not sure of your configuration. If the pump and cylinder are both on the tractor, why do you need to quick disconnnect?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts