My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine starts fine when holding the brake pedal down but when liftng the the orange colored park brake lever it does not stay up to lock the brake pedal. Taking my foot off the brake pedal....the engine dies. The mower is not engaged and the seat safety switch is OK. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
38,406 Posts
The engine starts fine when holding the brake pedal down but when liftng the the orange colored park brake lever it does not stay up to lock the brake pedal. Taking my foot off the brake pedal....the engine dies. The mower is not engaged and the seat safety switch is OK. Any ideas? Thanks
Did you do an ohms check on the seat safety switch? Sure sounds like that would be the issue.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
If switch is good I'd check the wiring up the the seat switch

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think your machine has 2 problems.
  • a brake latch that is not working to hold pedal down
  • a seat switch that is not working (perhaps disconnected?)

If the latch doesn't keep the brake pedal from lifting when you remove your foot -- you're going to have to find out why it's not latching -- if you want to be able to let it run when you are off the seat.

The latch for the brake on my LX176 is working.
With parking brake down (and held by latch) the engine will stay running when off the seat.
With the pedal up, the engine will shutdown if operator is off the seat.

Also, if the brake is depressed and latched in place it is not necessary to sit on the seat (or hold it down...) for the engine to crank/start/idle.

Since your engine dies as soon as the pedal raises -- the seat switch (or wiring/circuit) is not working.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved..........One of the two wires that once were going to the seat switch was broken. I put this jumper in years ago so I didn't have to restart the engine everytime I got off to empty the bags, pick up a stick or open a gate. Anyway, thanks to all that responded. I went right to the seat switch and there it was......a broken wire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts