My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Battery discharge light on my '91 LX176 (38"deck w/ 14hp Kawasaki) is staying on. I have replaced the battery (Old one was 6 years old). I have also done the checks in the service manual and all seem to be OK. (Stator open circuit voltage is 34VAC, Battery voltage is on the correct pins on regulator and key module connectors, no excess voltage drop on ground pin on voltage regulator). I also put the volt meter on the battery and after a few minutes of running the tractor at fast "idle" the voltage climbs to 14.1 VDC. I THINK this means enough voltage and current is actually getting to the battery to charge it. I did not try to check the current flow to the battery because the specs say max is 11 ampa and my meter is only good to 10 amps. My conclusion is that battery is getting charged OK, but that there is a malfunction internal to the voltage regulator that is putting 12 volts on the discharge light line even though battery is getting charge.

Any thought on this would be greatly appreciated. I haven't priced a new regulator from JD, but expect it is pricey, and do not want to replace it if that is not the real problem.

·
Super Moderator
35,903 Posts
Look on eBay, bought one for my 318 on there and it seems to work pretty good. Was only about $20.00 or so!

·
Registered
378 Posts
wiggle the wires that go into the regulator and see if the light goes on and off.I have seen dust and junk build up in there and cause the connections to lose contact

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Look for broken wires too. I had a broken wire near the starter on my 455 that coused the light to stay on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deeretek - I have removed and replaced both the Key module and Regulator module, cleaning the connectors and applying dielectric grease in the process. No change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to be clear, I removed and reinstalled the Key Module and Regulator Module. (I did not replace them with new units).

Sorry for any confusion on my last post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts