My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Figured id get some new opinions on here. My LX172 with a Kawi 14horse engine has been a real ball buster since this winter. After the winter it simply would not start. I threw in a new battery, as well as a new ignitor, since they were never replaced. Tractor fired up, ran great for a few days... I also did a new plug and fuel filter at the time. Then it stopped running again, and it seemed like it wasnt getting fuel, so I grabbed a new fuel pump. Fire back up. Ran great.

But it still has a stange problem, if it ever takes a jolt while mowing, such as the mower deck hits something, i start to loose power and it eventually dies. Even with the deck disengaged, it will not make a difference. Once that happens nothing will get this thing to start and run. It turns over great, and every once and a while fires for a few revoltions, but dies off, and just turns over and over again with nothing.

I bipassed the seat safety switch, the PTO switch clicks on and off so that seems to be fine.

What am I missing? Just frustrated beyond belief with this thing. But when it runs it runs great and takes alot of abuse.

Let me know,

Air

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill take the carb apart this week, you bring up the voltage regulator....

One of the times, even tho it has a new battery, it had gotten low and needed a jump. It fired right up.

·
Three of my friends
9,229 Posts
Might have a look at the fuel shut off that is in the lower part of the carb bowl,it has a small pin that shuts off the fuel when the engine is shut off,it has a single wire to it.

·
Administrator
12,777 Posts
I'll go along with a carb / fuel problem. Check your gas tank as well, I've worked on machines that had old varnish floating around inside it and it would clog the outlet and starve the engine. Also, if every other fuel option is exhausted, maybe look at the coil, it may be the problem. Just my .02 . Good Luck

·
Registered
259 Posts
sounds like a problem i had with an older 116 would run fine till it jiggled around a bit and would stop,turned out to be rust in the tank,before i got it this happened ...i found a 4" bolt in the tank rusting away clogging the petcock screen ,something like that possibly happened to yours...i would check it,it's usually something simple like that

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had the same problem yesterday, I had a old fuel line that runs to the tank the lining was brittle and clogged the passage, replaced the 4 ft gasline and runs perfect.

Good Luck,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts