My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Michael
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I took in a LX172 and a LX178 on trade.

I got the 172 running quite well, the deck is good and it drives well. Needs a PTO switch and a hood.

I haven't tried to get the 178 running yet but from what I know for sure it needs a seat and mount, PTO switch and hood.

I don't plan to try to find a hood for either. Around here they command a big price if they aren't cracked or else they sell faster than I can get there.

Assuming I can get the 178 running and driving, would these be worth more as complete tractors minus the hood or would it be better to part them out?

·
Premium Member
9,624 Posts
Since the hood is $600 + it is basically "totaled" when it goes. Just my opinion !!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
OK, kind of a dumb question, but what happens to the hoods of these riding lawn mowers? Perhaps it is a regional thing as I often see people selling just the hoods on CL around here. Is it that because they are plastic, they can't take the cold?

·
Registered
549 Posts
OK, kind of a dumb question, but what happens to the hoods of these riding lawn mowers? Perhaps it is a regional thing as I often see people selling just the hoods on CL around here. Is it that because they are plastic, they can't take the cold?
People think that because it’s a lawn implement that they can just treat it as a disposable appliance. That’s my theory, anyway. I take care of my tractor as I do my vehicles, so I’ve knock on wood not had any such misfortune. It’s not that hard to avoid running into stuff, and if one has that sort of jungle, a L/G tractor is probably not the correct tool for the job.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
If I come across these cheap enough I buy and set them in corner. We have enough LXs around here a mower with blown engine will come along with good hood. They are great mowers For the money.

·
Registered
565 Posts
those are well made machines it a shame the hoods dont last longer. I see them for sale here in Alabama with broken hoods. seems like the plastic just cracks and fall apart.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I think I've had 4 LX176's and one LX188. I bought them hoodless, not running and $100 was the most I paid. They are good mowers but will not bring much without a hood and hoods cost to much. I still have 3 of them that I plan to use in my fleet of junkers.
Cannon

·
Michael
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t see all that many around here, and finding one with a hood is a rarity. The sun is usually what does them in. People leave them outside and the sun just bakes them until they become brittle plus people aren’t careful at all with them. I have 4 simplicity regents right now and every one has the front end pushed in. At least those are made of metal and can be straightened.

Back to the original question, would I be better off selling them whole without a hood or parting them out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Say what about sun baking? While I'm not exactly a fan of the JD hoods, about all I've seen around here is the sun fading the plastic. Like on my JD L120, I don't like how JD uses metal screws into the plastic hood. I replace them as they break with through screws, washers & nyloks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The hood on my X300 cracked when I opened it one day, a year or two ago. There are some differences in opinion about the correct way to open the hood. I used the handy center opening area as a hand hold. It had worked great for years. But apparently, the pressure was too much that day and the hood cracked. A new one is around $400 with stickers. I have been using it without a hood until I figure out what to do. It has been working fine without the hood.

I have heard of other people who have had a similar experience with the hood cracking when opened.

·
Shacker
741 Posts
Snowplow, I would try selling without the hood. Maybe wait till spring when people start going back up to their cabins. Lots of them just want something to cut the grass and don't care about the looks as long as it runs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts