My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Wondering if this is as good a deal as I think it is.

Went to mow this weekend with the venerable Honda and broke yet another deck belt. Tore the deck apart and notice the center pully axle was a little wobbly. Long story short, looks like a weeks wait for the $100 or so of parts. Took the sob story to the wife who, despite the 9N saga, agreed we needed to start looking for a replacement.

Next day she get's up early (before the good stuff is gone) to hit a few garage sales and about 15 minutes after she leaves I get a frantic call to get over and take a look at a tractor. Well, it's a very nice looking JD LX-288 with a 54 in deck, snowblower, tractor trunk, and a steel JD pull behind wagon. The blades had no nicks, the engine has 100 hrs, and the guy gave me the original bill from a JD dealer in 2002 for around $14K. He was asking $2500, which I paid without haggling (there were a few other guys sniffing around so I had to move fast).

I'm thinking the rig as described should go for at least $3500...any thoughts?

Steve

·
JD318
990 Posts
Hmmmm, $3500 is getting into "brand new" territory, as in "you can get a brand new one for that", but the one you found is basically brand new. Guess I would check MachineFinder and ebay/craigslist to see what 288's are going for in your area, and go from there. Nice find by the wife though!!

·
Super Moderator
16,327 Posts
On Deere machine finder there Going form $1,995 with 54inch deck to $2,850 for one with a 48inch deck and a powerflow bagger and that just for the 2000 model year. So $2,500 was a Fair price for the tractor with deck,snowblower,cart and trunk. But even with all those attachments he paid $14,000 Because it should have only cost him under or at $7,000. I paid a little over $14,000 for a 2003 X485 with a 48inch deck,45loader, limited cat 1 3point hitch,rear PTO and Cat 1 ballest box in 2003 which was from the flag ship of the Deere line of Garden tractos so his bill of sale sound fishy to me.. Well some good things about the LX200 series all were built on the Same frame as the GT225,235,245 and GX255 so your getting a rugged Lawn tractor with a K61 trans which is basicly the same as the modern K58. Have fun with it and welcome to the Deere familly. By the way this same frame was use on some of the Honda lawn tractors in the mid 90's which Deere built for Honda :thThumbsU

1 - 3 of 3 Posts