My Tractor Forum banner

LX 176 snowblower

20K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  1996LX176 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a JD LX 176 and I'd like to get a snowblower for it. Question is will any 42" or 38" snowblower work on it? specs say 3252M 42", or 2461M/2462M. Reason I ask this is I'm looking on craigs list for a used one and some of the ones I've seen are not the same numbers. I'm fairly sure all of them can be adapted, but not 100% positive. The older ones probably don't have the same numbers, those numbers were probably made for those years.

Am I tracking right on this?

-JK

#2 ·
Here this Might Help

Just Keep this In Mind when Looking for a Thrower 3252M on the thrower its self it will read as M03252X followed by Serial Number :thThumbsU

#4 ·
Just a little unsolicited opinion: Take the time to find the 38" blower. I have an LX188 which is about the same, I think, for snowthrower mounting as yours. I have the 42" blower and I'm not thrilled with it.

Firstly, you will need the adapter kit - I don't know the part number, but I think it's listed in the reference material. I think the kit alone cost me over $100.

Also, maybe it's me or maybe its the installation manual, but the 42" just doesn't seem to fit correctly. The snowthrower frame with the adapter C mounts is too wide for the pegs in the kit. Going over hills and dips causes the snowthrower to fall off of the tractor frame.

Also, the lever that tightens the belt is bent at an angle that doesn't seem to work. That lever sticks out at the bottom and if it catches on something I drive over, it will loosen the belt. The manual says that it's supposed to tuck up under the snowthrower frame, but it's about 2" away from being able to do that.

I don't know how much the 38" weighs, but the 42" is very HEAVY. The tractor is very difficult to steer. I'm guessing anything that makes the steering easier, like a lighter weight thrower, would be an improvement. I've got two of the green JD weights on the back. Maybe modifying that bracket to accept 4 weights would improve steering? I dunno.

I've remedied these problems by putting a clip in the tractor frame pegs to keep the thrower from falling off. And I had a friend heat up my tightening lever and bend it to the correct angle. So, I'm not having those issues any more. But, if the 38" thrower is made for that tractor - and I'm thinking it is because it doesn't require an adapter kit - it seems like that's the better option.

#6 · (Edited)
I have a 42" blower ( MO3252X ) on my GT235 which runs 23" tires. , and agree with the previous posting that it would be a over sized on a LX188 which if it's the same as my LX277 has 20" tires. even tho its spec'd as a fit, I wouldn't do it. Try and find a 38".

On a side note, I am extremely satisfied with the fit and construction of this blower and don't have any the alignment, adjustment problems noted. the belt drive on the auger makes is much quieter than the chain drives too. This is my first single stage blower - my walk behind was a 2 stage and was not sure that it would perform as well ... I can say now that this blower setup rips through any kind of snow wet or powder.

Good luck finding your blower! :trink39:

Attachments

#7 ·
I also have a 42" on my LX. I wish I had found a 38". The 42 is a monster and can really sling the snow, but it is too wide for most sidewalks. You end up with the skids in the grass and 1/2" on snow still on the walk. I have 140 pounds of weights on the rear tires and frame plus a cab so I don't have the steering issues. But it was a challenge to mount. I ended up cutting the frame apart to fit the tractor frame, thne re-welded. It's nice now but it wasn't easy.

#9 ·
I would get the rear weight bracket and plan on adding two 40 pounders. You'll want everything you can get on the rear wheels.
I really don't think that 4 more inches of snowblower are harder on the machine. I have cut through heavy snow that was coming over the top of the snowblower by four inches. My 15 hp kawasaki had plenty of power. I ran that for a whole block before I burned up the belt (loose due to a bent frame) and it never bogged down. I had previously hit a 1" high sidewalk joint at full speed and it bent the frame which made the belt loose. Easy fix though; Heat and beat.

#11 ·
You will need to sell them anway just to pay for your new hobby. Hopefully you will find a blower that fits locally and cheap. Then the rear weights are $1 / pound ($80), then you'll want chains, wheel weights (Craftsman fit your rims), electric blower controls, and a cab. Power lift would be nice....The green will get you!
FYI, there is a brand new cab still in the box at a dealer in MA. Probably the only left anywhere. He's cut the price to less than half; $900. Search my posts for his info. I just heard from him last week and it is still available.

#12 ·
Sounds like others have the 42" on the LX tractor without fitment problems I have. That's good to know. It may just be me. I have the installation manual and I'm not seeing what I might be doing wrong, but I'll take another look this weekend.

Mr. mcbare, it sounds like you have way more than the two JD weights on your tractor and that has helped with the steering. I'm going to give that a try.

#13 ·
I have just two 40 lb JD suitcases and the craftsman wheel weights shown in my avatar. They are 30lbs each.
I don't have any idea how the cab weight is distributed, but it looks like a good deal of it rests on the rear wheel.
Like I said in my post. My 42" didn't fit. I cut it up and rewelded it.

#17 ·
Okay,
I bought a 38" blower for the Lx 176, bought all the parts think are needed to mount it. I took the tractor and blower in to the dealer, looked at both and compared to parts breakdown. Had to get studs, bracket and bolt and a rerun spring.

Any chance someone can take some close up pics of everything that attaches to the tractor for me and send them to me? I have a idea where everything goes its just pics will greatly help.

Thanks

Sent from the MTF Free App

#18 ·
#20 ·
Okay got snowblower hooked up and used it once. Not too great for a stone driveway. Seems a little heavy, is there a assist spring for this model? It did clear snow fast I must say. Not sure I like it that much, thinking about getting a blade instead. Probably will be much nicer on a paved driveway.

Sent from the MTF Free App

#23 ·
Okay got snowblower hooked up and used it once. Not too great for a stone driveway. Seems a little heavy, is there a assist spring for this model?
There is a lift assist spring, and you've gotta adjust the heck out of it. Also, the collar on the height control lever doesn't ever seem to want to stay put. Wrench at the local JD dealer said that the only durable fix is to weld it on there. I'll second that. Before you weld it, try adjusting where that collar sits on the height control lever. Lower should move easier, but will raise the thrower less. Higher will raise it better (great for my bumpy yard) but will take more of your shoulder to lift it.

On the stone driveway note, did you have the roller wheels on when you were clearing the stone driveway? The ones that keep the unit an inch off the ground? Without them, clearing a stone driveway would be an awful racket and annoying with how many rocks were fired through the chute.

#21 ·
If I had Read this thread when it was first started, I would have tried talking you out of it immediately. I had an LX178 that I put a 38" blower on and had a fit every time I went from blower to mower and back. It was such a pain I eventually just left the blower on full time and bought a larger mower with a 48" deck. The larger mower turned out to be an allis-chalmers and I found a 42" blower for it and it would interchange with the mower deck in less than 1/4 the time I could do it on the JD. Don't get me wrong, I love JD quality but that model blower could have been designed with a much simpler installation process. Anyhow, the engine in my 178 was getting tired and I SOLD THE whole unit in a garage sale. I now have a nearly 40 yr old 210 that is almost like new, a35 yr old deutz-allis, two(2) allis-chalmers that are 35-40 yrs old and a 1964 bolens. Not that I don't like new things but I prefer old things that look and operate like new. Anyhow good luck with whatever you decide. What part of Indiana are you in. I'm near Richmond.

#26 ·
:howdy:Just an FYI the Hoodless LX176 and #42 blower are performing flawlessly down in Mass.
BUT still no hood, :dunno: but it doesn't seem to mind.
This pic was finishing up the restoration before shipping. ( everything @ the last minute )

#27 ·
Anyone here have a compatibility list for the 38/42" blowers that will fit the LX series? had some info years ago but lost it. read alot of posts here but no one is stating what model they have on their machine or what parts they used to retro a model that is made for a GT series or 300 series

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.