My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating getting a set of lug tires for my 455...just wondering how bad they are on the lawn. Thanks.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
JD 318 here with lugs. I tried the tires on the lawn with varying amounts of weight. Here are my results. Bear in mind a wet muddy lawn will receive more marking than a drier, firmer lawn. Also if for whatever reason you use your diff lock in a turn, you will leave marks with anything.

Lug tires:
no weight, no filling, no effect;
45lb wheel weight, no filling, no effect;
no wheel weight, 60lbs liquid filling, no effect;
45lb wheel weight, 60lbs liquid filling, no effect;
45lb wheel weight, 60 lbs liquid filling, 200lbs front suitcase weight, 700lbs rear concrete ballast, slight depressions.

Hope that helps.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
I am contemplating getting a set of lug tires for my 455...just wondering how bad they are on the lawn. Thanks.
Hi HookMan ,

I've never had lug tires so I can't comment on that , but plenty of members
do , so you will get answers ...

I would ask , what do you have now and what uses do you need lug tires
for ???

I would also throw in the mix , maybe considering HDAP tires , from my
experience they are great and would look sweet on the back of your 455 ...

Later,x595

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have turfs now...but they are getting a little long in the tooth treadwise...so I am just starting to consider alternatives...i like the hdaps too and would not rule them out.

·
X500 owner
21 Posts
I would recommend the HDAP tires. I have them on an X500 and they grab great and don't usually leave a mark unless you turn sharp with the diff lock on. I also have a Farmall Cub with AG tires and weights and that will tear the lawn up pretty good.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

I had AGs on my x475 Carlisle tru power I believe they were. For mud or sand they are the way to go but I think the HDAP's are the best all around choice. If you plan on doing any plowing or snow blowing in the winter the HDAPs and turfs work better with chains as the cross chains on conventional chains tend to fall between the lugs on an AG tire. If the lawn is dry the AG's aren't a problem but if things get soggy you will probably get some damage.

Brian

·
Registered
948 Posts
I had lugs on a 318. They were better than the turfs. My property is sloped from the road down to the creek behind the house. Turfs slipped and tore up the lawn in a few spots. The lugs never slipped, but did leave impressions if the ground was too wet (soft). My X540 has HDAPs and they are the best of both worlds. I'd be inclined to go with HDAPs, given a choice.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone...sounds like a lot of endorsements for the hdaps.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One observation on the hdaps...the carlisle field trax are 2ply and have a max load of around 1200lbs...the 455 weighs in around 1000lbs and the loader comes in at around 500lbs...wonder if they are enough tire? not sure if they make em in 4ply

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Consider the All Trail then. They are 4-ply, but not sure if available in your size (26x12-12 I believe)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
26x12x12 is the sized needed

·
Registered
901 Posts
The other mentionable is that the HDAPs give equal traction in reverse and forward. Not so with lugs. I have super lugs but if I had it to do over again I would likely go with HDAPs instead.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I don't see an all-trail in 26x12-12. The Turf Tamer is available in that size but is a knobby, and I am not sure if 4 ply or 2.

Now industrial Tire out of Georgia sells an imported R-4 tire in your size that is 4 ply. They are the brand Kubota uses as OEM. R-4 is a modified AG Lug look but is aggressive than a lug.

And don't forget the front! Tri-ribs will leave some marks, so either a 4 or 6 ply 5 rib design would be good.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the good tips...good news is i have some time to do the research and make a correct choice

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
I also would vote for the HDAP's for all-around use. The lug (ag) tires will clean themselves better if you're in damp dirt or mud, but the HDAP's have awesome traction. They are 2-ply, but my X748 weighs around 1250 with the mower, and I also use a 300 lb rototiller, and I haven't had any problems. I have ags on a GT235, and don't have problems tearing the turf unless I spin, but they're really no worse than the HDAP's when I spin them.

I was buying tires for my truck yesterday, and saw a brochure for some Firestone ATV tires called "Mudhooks" They look like a cross between ag tread and the HDAP tread. They are available in 26x12x12, are 6 ply and have a load limit of 520 lb at 7psi. Might be an alternative.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
One observation on the hdaps...the carlisle field trax are 2ply and have a max load of around 1200lbs...the 455 weighs in around 1000lbs and the loader comes in at around 500lbs...wonder if they are enough tire? not sure if they make em in 4ply
Weight capacity shouldn't be a problem. 1200ea=2400lbs on the rear axle. I think the axle is only rated for 1800 lbs. With the loader the weight is distributed on both axles and I would be more worried about exceeding the rating of the front tires than the back. I think the softer sidewall of the 2 ply HDAPs might actually be an advantage traction wise if you have them inflated so there is some flex in the sidewall. Someone recently posted a video of a x500 backing up a hill with these tires. Quite impressive.

Cheers
Brian

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
There's definitely some flex in the sidewalls. Max inflation is only 10psi, with some weight on the back you notice the squat when you lift the weight. They also do a lot for softening the ride. The biggest disadvantage I can see with the HDAP's is if you're in the woods a lot, where sharp objects could more easily cut or puncture the "softer" tire.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
HookMan ,

I'm a little confused , I thought we were talking about the rears , as for the
fronts , put 6 or 8 ply ribs or what are they called v-61's ...

Later,x595

·
Registered
585 Posts
Have Carlisle Super lugs on my MTD. Have been very happy with them. Haven't had any problems with damage to the lawn except when it is wet. I will say this though. The turfs tore up the grass worse when the started spinning and they left me bogged down and stuck. The ags may tear up the ground when it is wet but no worse than the turfs and I don't get stuck.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The HDAP's in 24x12x12 are actually 24-5/8" tall. Your 26x12x12 would be around 25" tall (now everyone's getting a tape measure out) . The HDAP's in 24x12x12 will almost be an exact fit.
The pic below shows the turfs and HDAP's, they are both 24x12x12.
[/IMG]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts