My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1991 New Holland 455C backhoe in really good condition. However, before using it I want to check all the fluids, change the oil, and lube everyplace there is a grease fitting. Got the oil changed and started lubing the grease fittings (bought a Ryobi battery powered grease gun on Home Depot.com. Got it on sale at a great price and it is worth every penny.). Had to replace a couple of the fittings and most of them took grease easily. However, I have several that refuse to take grease even after removing the fitting and cleaning out the packed grease. I will be working on it again tomorrow and would like any suggestions as to how to clear those fittings and get them to take grease. Any suggestions?

·
10,513 Posts
Depending on location, lay the backhoe out and partially remove the pin. Sometimes just moving it 1/4” can free up the blockage.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Try heating the zerk with a mild torch, like propane. Sometimes that softens up the old grease that's clogging the inside of the zerk.

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Remove the zerk,clean out the hole, and put some thin penetrate in there. Whether spray type, or home made mix. Insert zerk, then put the grease to it. On a manual gun.you can feel the liquid going out, and grease will follow. Not sure what kind of psi your gun puts out Most decent manual guns are 10,000 to 12,000 psi.

For a horizontal hole, do the same, except make a small half *** with grease at the face of the hole, apply penetrate, then screw zerk back in, and put the grease to it. Grease should push most of the dirt crud out with it.

The only time I didn't have success with this, was when the hole in a bushing had spun away from the grease hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts