My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in a discussion of various grease and grease guns, and grease tips as a side bar to my JD tie rod and ball joint repair or replace thread elsewhere. In the end, I replaced it, and came to the realization that what I might consider premature wear to the ball joints was likely my own fault due to my greasing maintenance cycle. I can't blame that on my grease guns which were entirely adequate, if not a pleasure to load and use. But, as I had been eyeing this German made Grease gun and grease system for some time, I found a decent price, and a discount code so I sprung for one.

The Lube Shuttle gun and grease:

I had recently added a Lock N Lube end to my existing grease gun and liked it enough to move it to this new Grease gun. It required that brass adapter due to the differences in German connector size and thread standards.

Since greasing isn't a high use activity, I want to run about a tube of grease through it before I consider a review. But, after an afternoon in the garage and shed greasing every zerk in sight, I am impressed with the ease of use of the combination, and especially impressed with the complete lack of grease on me, my clothes, various other mechanical surfaces, the garage floor, and my work bench.

Stay greased my friends

Reactions: kershner

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
What is the pricing on this grease gun and the special grease cartridges it takes? Are there local sources for the cartridges?

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pricing varies based on retailer. Their own US based retail offers specials. I paid around $50 for the gun and two tubes of grease. It's not cheap. But, I have wasted more grease in some tubes than I've actually applied to the right point. They are available on Amazon, but I found better prices at their own site

Same with the grease. The grease tubes are refillable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had this grease gun since April and like it. I use it on the tractor, boat, trailers etc. I can haul it in the truck and it will not leak as the old style will. I still get some slow oozing from the tip but I suppose that can't be helped. The locking tip that came with it is not as good as a lock N lube. They say their locking tip will loosen up over time but my old hands don't want to be pushing that hard on the lock. Go with a Lock N Lube.

They have a few videos online about their different greases, but I went with the top of their line. Holds up well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I understand what you are saying about the messiness of grease guns. I leave a pair of cotton gloves that are 3 for $1. Put gloves on while handling and throw them out frequently.

I worked on a golf course for a cranky old guy. It was literally beat into you that YOU WILL grease and check oil on every machine before using. A habit that has stuck to this day.

BTW, Jere, that X728 has grease zerks on the drive shaft, don't forget them. That drive shaft is about $700.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand what you are saying about the messiness of grease guns. I leave a pair of cotton gloves that are 3 for $1. Put gloves on while handling and throw them out frequently.

I worked on a golf course for a cranky old guy. It was literally beat into you that YOU WILL grease and check oil on every machine before using. A habit that has stuck to this day.

BTW, Jere, that X728 has grease zerks on the drive shaft, don't forget them. That drive shaft is about $700.
I believe it has one zerk tucked into the universal joint. I have never been able to actually get a grease gun end to attach to it. So, I've resorted to a blunt needle end that I can force into the end of the zerk and pump away. I assume there must be an extremely short grease gun nozzle that might fit in there, but nothing I have does. the needle take a little patience, but seems to work for me.

Reactions: c5rulz

·
16,617 Posts
I've had this grease gun since April and like it. I use it on the tractor, boat, trailers etc. I can haul it in the truck and it will not leak as the old style will. I still get some slow oozing from the tip but I suppose that can't be helped. The locking tip that came with it is not as good as a lock N lube. They say their locking tip will loosen up over time but my old hands don't want to be pushing that hard on the lock. Go with a Lock N Lube.

They have a few videos online about their different greases, but I went with the top of their line. Holds up well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
/////////////////////////////

Here's a suggestion---relive the pressure on the gun and slide a rubber cap over the end--I think mine came off the end of a new hydraulic hose--I save all those plastic and rubber caps in a container--be surprised how many use's you can think of for them. Jere--Thanks for the tip about the lock N lube end.
glenn

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I believe it has one zerk tucked into the universal joint. I have never been able to actually get a grease gun end to attach to it. So, I've resorted to a blunt needle end that I can force into the end of the zerk and pump away. I assume there must be an extremely short grease gun nozzle that might fit in there, but nothing I have does. the needle take a little patience, but seems to work for me.

The 2305 has a zerk on each U joint and it can only be accessed with a needle grease fitting. Turn the flywheel with your fingers to line up. Hold penlight in you teeth, handheld small grease gun in one hand and guiding the needle with the other as things fall into your eyes.

The X758 has TWO zerks on the the shaft and I can't remember if the needle greaser is required.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 2305 has a zerk on each U joint and it can only be accessed with a needle grease fitting. Turn the flywheel with your fingers to line up√.
Hold penlight in you teeth√
, handheld small grease gun in one hand√
and guiding the needle with the other√ as things fall into your eyes√.

The X758 has TWO zerks on the the shaft and I can't remember if the needle greaser is required.
While laying upside-down and backwards on the cold concrete floor√

Got it. Here is my blunt needle that I use:

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,597 Posts
Jere, it is possible to get on that fitting on the shaft with a normal end...theres about 3 degrees of rotation where you can get on it, easy way is using a Heftee Lift... but theres a perk of being a John deere mechanic... we get all the fun toys...LOL

Reactions: Jere39

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got no lift here at home. This last week I've lifted the front of the tractor with the blade which gave me a little more room underneath. And, I've rotated the drive shaft by hand all the way around trying several angles of approach. None worked with any of my zerk attach grease guns. I will have to look for a little stubby one next time I'm somewhere that carries plenty of greasing options. FWIW, this zerk is not mentioned in my Owner's Manual at all. Is it possible they know it is near impossible, so they don't have it listed in the maintenance sections? Anyway, I think I am accomplishing the greasing with the blunt (that is to say, not the kind that pierces a rubber boot) needle and as C5 suggests, using mouth, and all three hands forcing grease in there.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,597 Posts
I've got no lift here at home. This last week I've lifted the front of the tractor with the blade which gave me a little more room underneath. And, I've rotated the drive shaft by hand all the way around trying several angles of approach. None worked with any of my zerk attach grease guns. I will have to look for a little stubby one next time I'm somewhere that carries plenty of greasing options. FWIW, this zerk is not mentioned in my Owner's Manual at all. Is it possible they know it is near impossible, so they don't have it listed in the maintenance sections? Anyway, I think I am accomplishing the greasing with the blunt (that is to say, not the kind that pierces a rubber boot) needle and as C5 suggests, using mouth, and all three hands forcing grease in there.
very interesting.... i just double checked the manual, and you are correct... and then did some digging, there was a Dealer case about not being able to get a grease gun on that fitting, and this is the text of that solution...

Complaint or Symptom :
  • Can't find grease gun that will fit in U-joint. Or can't get grease gun onto zerk.
  • No reference in OM as to how often joint should be serviced.
Problem or Situation :
None.

Solution :
Zerk installed so joint can be lubricated at manufacture/assembly. No other regular lubrication or service is required.

Reactions: Jere39

·
Registered
3,499 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I had a pair of u-joints like that on my GM truck front driveshaft, where it was just slightly too tight to get a grease gun on them(MOOG replacement ones). I got annoyed with disconnecting the driveshaft/using the grease gun/reconnecting, then trying to use an extension like in post #9, and then finally swapped out the u-joints for new ones that had the grease fitting in an end-cap.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
very interesting.... i just double checked the manual, and you are correct... and then did some digging, there was a Dealer case about not being able to get a grease gun on that fitting, and this is the text of that solution...

Complaint or Symptom :
  • Can't find grease gun that will fit in U-joint. Or can't get grease gun onto zerk.
  • No reference in OM as to how often joint should be serviced.
Problem or Situation :
None.

Solution :
Zerk installed so joint can be lubricated at manufacture/assembly. No other regular lubrication or service is required.

Thanks for your research, and confirmation that I am not alone. Thanks also @c5rulz for finding that even the 23xx series are near impossible to grease.

Seems the researched
Problem or Situation:
None.
is an understatement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts