My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing with two Gravely rotary plows that I have.

One is bone dry, and I know it hasn't been turned since 1990, that is how long I have had it.

The other is, well, not bone dry, but what is in it is not 90WT, but, much heavier.

I read another thread about the Snapper transmission using something thicker than 90WT, probably like corn head grease.

I have 5 gallons of 90WT somebody gave me, so wasting a little is no concern, but, corn head grease sounds like it is better suited to this application.

http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Special-Purpose-Corn-Head-Gun-Grease-AN102562.html

"Formulated for John Deere corn head and other slow-speed gear cases"

These plows are old, tolerances are probably MUCH looser on mine.

So, the question is, should I use the 90WT I have, or go with corn head grease, or something else?? :dunno:

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
In the plow box you are safe with 90W if it will hold it. I personally use "00" grease in mine with no I'll affects. Corn header grease would also work fine too in my opinion. I wouldn't be opposed to filling them with regular gun grease....any lube in there will work. They are very low speed and so over built that just keep them lubed with something.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I don't think cornrow head grease is thick enough. Look at Snoop Dogg's cornrows and they look pretty lightly lubed. You might use something heavier in your plows

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think cornrow head grease is thick enough. Look at Snoop Dogg's cornrows and they look pretty lightly lubed. You might use something heavier in your plows

LMAO!! :ROF

That box does look overbuilt!! Next time I drive past the Greene store, I think I will get some corn head grease and put it in the gear box.

If anybody is near Roanoke, and needs some 90WT, stop by. I need help using up that 5 gallon can of oil before it turns back into a dinosaur!!

I am sure I can give you a half gallon!! :dunno:

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
LMAO!! :ROF

That box does look overbuilt!! Next time I drive past the Greene store, I think I will get some corn head grease and put it in the gear box.

If anybody is near Roanoke, and needs some 90WT, stop by. I need help using up that 5 gallon can of oil before it turns back into a dinosaur!!

I am sure I can give you a half gallon!! :dunno:
Well I was going to come see about that Pro 8 but now it's gone... :dunno:

I'm not sure what corn head tubes are going for these days... but it sure is some good stuff. Use it in the undercarriage of the 420C.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts