My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting for a few weeks I went out and tried to start my cub Ltx1050kw and the starter just spins (would not engage flywheel). Battery volts showing 11.5. I pulled the starter and made sure the bendix moved and added a little wd40. Is it just time for a new starter? Anything I'm missing? Mower has 200 hrs on it.

·
Banned
44 Posts
11.5V is plenty enough to kick the starter.

You say you lubed the bendix with WD40. WD isn't much of a lubricant, but should have worked enough to make it work. Starter may be worn out, but not usually all of a sudden. You sure the bendix is free? I suggest checking the ground point of the negative cable and checking the cables from the battery to the starter for good connection and damage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
11.5V is plenty enough to kick the starter.

You say you lubed the bendix with WD40. WD isn't much of a lubricant, but should have worked enough to make it work. Starter may be worn out, but not usually all of a sudden. You sure the bendix is free? I suggest checking the ground point of the negative cable and checking the cables from the battery to the starter for good connection and damage.
Ya coming to think the starter is toast.
Just want to make sure I've troubleshooted everything. I'll check cables and the bendix again tomorrow.

·
Banned
44 Posts
11.5v is a dead battery no matter what you might think.
Whatever you think hoss. I've been bending wrenches for 20 plus years. 11.5V is low, but not dead, no matter what you've read on the internet. Plenty enough to kick that little starter bendix out. Besides, he said a new battery didn't fix it, so it definitely isn't a battery issue.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wanted to follow back up on this. The issue was the starter. Installed a new one last night, and works great. I may take the old one apart to diagnose further. Fyi used an aftermarket starter from DB Electrical on Amazon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In your original post you said the starter would spin but not engage. That tells me that your starter drive(bendix) is not working. 11 1/2 is plenty to make the starter work. You probably could have bought a starter drive, if available, and put it on your old starter and saved a little money. I would not discard that old starter. If starter drives are available for it, keep it for the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts