My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Craftsman LTX 1000 from my Wife's grandparents for free. It was in pieces as it had a bad oil leak. No big deal to replace a $5 seal on the motor and reinstall the motor.

The other problem was a burnt out electric PTO switch. So I bought a new one and installed it and made it 70% of the way around my yard and it burns out again. I have bought another new switch but I don't want to just burn out another one and I can't find any shorts in the wiring or damage or screwed up wiring. To test things I bought a simple toggle switch and cut the lines for just the Electric PTO. Got it going and got 10 feet and it died. Thinking it was the switch I bought a new one with no luck.

The tractor still runs and drives just fine but I can't figure out what is wrong with the PTO.

Any hints or suggestions?

Model # of tractor is 917.272420
LTX 1000 with 18 horse Kohler Command Pro motor and 42" deck set up for mulching.

I want to use this thing and I am very frustrated at the moment so help would be greatly appreciated as I am stuck at the moment. I really don't want to replace the Electric PTO unit and not have it be the issue. Is there a way to test it?

Thanks
Kevin

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
If you have no shorts to ground, it sounds like the PTO winding is partially shorted. I don't know what the resistance should be, perhaps someone with a similar rig could let us know. A partial short would let you run until the weakest link let go, such as the switch.

·
Registered
129 Posts
KHolleboom,

It seems unlikely that you would have a short circuit in the PTO coil because that much of a short would make the PTO totally inoperable. More likey there is an intermittent short to ground between the PTO and the switch. Check for worn or bare wires.

Runningbare

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
Download the OM at-
http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0103373.pdf
The schematic is on Page 33/64.

As you can see, the OPR (operator presence relay) completes the ground to the PTO circuit.
"POSSIBLY", the OPR is bad (chattering) which could be rapidly "switching" the PTO ON/OFF, causing a continuous "surging" through the switch.. Also check the connections to the relay. Bad connections can cause the same thing.
The "winding" in the OPR can also cause enough of a voltage spike to actually cause a shock when disconnected, acting just like an ignition coil. Depending on which connections in the OPR are bad, this could also be "eroding" contacts.

Just an off the wall place to look when the obvious isn't-

IF you have a meter with an AMPS scale, the PTO itself shouldn't draw more than 5 AMPS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have looked for worn and or bare wires. nothing that I can find. Currently the PTO is completely inoperable. Before it would operate and then burn out the PTO switch after a very short amount of time. 30 - 60 seconds. Now it will not activate or engage at all. I have looked at teh Schematic too many times already and traced wires driving me nuts. Tractor still runs just fine and can be used to tool around. I just have no working mower on this tractor currently and need to figure it out because I want to use it. I have other mowers so it isn't going to kill me. I will look more closely at the OPR as there was some dirt and debris in the back side (wire side) of the plug. Maybe there is some corrosion as well?

I will throw a ammeter on the PTO and check that also.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
For what it is worth, very closely and carefully inspect the terminals in the PTO switch wiring plug and the plug on the back of the ignition switch. I have just finished rehabbing a late 90's Husqvarna, which is an AYP unit, with an electric PTO. The PTO worked very intermittently, and not when I wanted it too. I pulled everything. Checked everything. PTO worked fine on bench check. PTO switch had continuity across the proper contacts at the right times, the OPR worked just fine, had continuity on ALL the wires in the various circuits. But, it didn't work. I looked carefully at the terminals in the plugs.
These AYP wiring harness use a Packard style female spade locking terminal. This terminal locks into a plastic plug, and has a little flat that bends back into the female spade part to act as a tension spring on the male tab when inserted. On 3 terminals in the PTO switch plug and one on the ignition switch plug, these little springs were broken or collapsed. I spliced in good used terminals from spare wiring harness I had, and was back in business.

Check your terminals.

Seth K. Pyle

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
Check for 12V to the PTO on the RED wire.

IF you have 12V there, the OPR isn't working to complete the ground circuit. You could unplugg the OPR and manually ground the wire going to terminal 87 to bypass the OPR completely.

Also look for burnt/corroded terminals on the OPR. That "can" happen when the scenario I mentioned in my first post occurs. The winding can act like an ignition coil, sparking away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, 2 years later and I finally got back to this unit.
Rebuilt plug for PTO switch, New PTO Switch, New Electric PTO clutch and this one is back in business. The old PTO must have just got way to much oil and grime in it from the oil leak previously fixed. Mowed most of my yard with it last night. Not a bad machine for light duty work.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone so long ago.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
We love happy endings!
:thanku:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts