My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I changed the timing belt and had the blades sharpened of the 42'' mower deck. When I tried to run it again, there's a high pitched noise coming from under it.
I noticed the blade timing being off a little, but certainly not enough for them to come in contact with one another, I hope.

I also tried lubricating the spindles using the nipples, but the lubricant didn't seem to be going in...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Last weekend I changed the timing belt and had the blades sharpened of the 42'' mower deck. When I tried to run it again, there's a high pitched noise coming from under it.
I noticed the blade timing being off a little, but certainly not enough for them to come in contact with one another, I hope.

I also tried lubricating the spindles using the nipples, but the lubricant didn't seem to be going in...
my neighbors JD deck sounds funny to.he nevers cleans under mower,i bet he has bent blade or build up of grass.i would look at those first.

worn spindle bearings will make a HIGH PITCH sound aLSO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While getting the blades sharpened, I also cleaned the bottom side of the deck, even repainted the parts where grass was stuck and rust was being built up.

·
Registered
204 Posts
While getting the blades sharpened, I also cleaned the bottom side of the deck, even repainted the parts where grass was stuck and rust was being built up.
if you can grab blades on bottom of deck ,take deck off.if you feel a lot of play back and forth,its spindle bearing.you should get very little play when you wiggle back and forth with blade.

i assume it did not make noise before you had blades sharpened and new belt,if so, you have to figure it was something you did.you did not hit anything to bend a blade?

when my spindle bearing went on my sears mower it was loud whine sound and i had a lot of play in the blade on bottom.

if your mower is over 3 or 4 years old,spindle bearing can go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Followup on the mower noise. It seemed to be a "belt keeper". The weird thing is I cannot find that part in the replacement part catalog. The owner manual, however, does mention it briefly.

The bushing is slid over a bolt and allows the timing belt to run against it. The rotation of that bushing was the noise I was hearing. I removed that bushing and the noise is gone. I don't think the belt can touch the bolt, that is now uncovered.

Anyone now what that "belt keeper" is used for, and why it would be suddenly making such a horrible noise?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I believe John Deere calls that part a "Belt Guide". The part is usually located near and idler and helps keep the belt inline and on the idler (pulley).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts