My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First time poster...love the forums...thank you in advance!

I own a LT190 with 340 hours on it. I've been religious with maintaining it over the past 7 years.

About 2 months ago it started having problems getting up my front yard (it's about a 20-30 degree incline...and about a 1/4 acre at most. The rest of my yard (in the back is 1.5 acres) is mostly flat.

It got to the point where I could only cut the front lawn horizontal or on a diagonal.

I brought my LT190 to my local JD shop and they replaced the drive belt (it was really worn).

Well...that worked for about 2 cuts...and now I'm back to square one where I refuses to get up the hill.

Any thoughts on what to do?

Thank you!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am assuming that your tires are not slipping.
Does it smell like burning belt when you try to climb the hill?
The only options are that your belt is slipping or the tranny is bad.
I would look at these 2 parts first.
1. Check the tension of the belt.
2. look to see if the base of the pulley and belt is shiney. If the pulley base or flat on the belt are shiney then your pulley is worn out. The belt should only be making contact on the Vee of the pulley.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If its a hydro, make sure the fluid is clean and at level.

-Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the quick responses.

The tires are not slipping...they just stop moving halfway up the hill.
It does not smell like a burning belt.

I'm having my JD shop come out again on Wednesday to take another look...thanks for the 3 suggestions below!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If it gets worse when hot or the longer you mow...possible internal trans issue. Worst case deal.

If it's bad from the get go cold...stripped splines on the hydro input sheave. There was another LT190 guy on here last week who had that. Easy/cheap repair, just replace the sheave (pulley).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately I think you hit on something. I usually don't have as much of an issue when I cut the hill right at the beginning of my mow. But when I'm out there for an hour and save the hill for the last portion...then I can't get up it.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome dijonace, good to have you with us and sorry to hear of the issues with your 190. Sounds like a tranny issue if it's doing this only when it gets warm, been through that with my L120, along with several other guys on here and yes, please let us know what the tech thinks :).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JD tech came out today. Started it up. Ran it up and down the hill 4 times...each successfully it got slower and and slower. On his 5th try it basically stopped in the middle of the hill.

This was a 4 minute exercise at most. He took the tractor away this morning.

Keeping my fingers crossed but it looks like I'm probably in the market for a new tractor.

With that said here is my situation:

1.75 acres to cut...mostly flat except for a hill in front of the house.
Trees only on the perimeter so no real need to do the zero turn stuff.
Although I compared the speed of the zero-turns (z445) to comparable regular tractors and they do go faster even though a comparable HP.

I'm not a small man...I clock in at 220-230 lbs (6'4"). Budget here is up to $5,500.

My priorities (if I need to get a new JD) is speed (I like the idea of going a max of 8.5mph), width (I have a 48" mower but will move to a 54" one if the price is right) and durability (this tractor is dying at 330 hours).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Find a used low hr 4xx series. There are some out there for under $3k that will last a long time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A budget of $5,500 puts you into a new x500 or gently used x540. Or you could try to track down an older x4xx or x5xx series. I have seen a couple around me with 600+ hours on them for around $5k. I was in a similar position with a similar budget recently and went with an x540 with 160 hours on it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
For 5500 bucks I would look at used. Here's my preferences in order
1. 455 5500 will buy a very nice low hour machine
2. 445 5500 will buy a very nice machine and an attachment or 2
3. 332 5500 will buy a very nice machine and an attachement or 3
4. 318 5500 will by a very nice machine and a lot of attachements

Find any of these babies with less than 1000 hours and you are good to go for years.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 175 Hydro did the same thing. The hotter it got, the more it stalled on hills--worse in reverse. I changed the fluid in the trans contrary to JD's recommendation. It made it a little better and I used the mower for another year, but it was not 100%. It never stalled on hills, but went noticeably slower.

Long story short, I bought the tractor with a 38" deck in 1997 for $850. Mowed my lawn until 2009 (12 years). Sold the tractor for $875. Not many things you buy give you that return!!!

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
1.75 acres to cut...mostly flat except for a hill in front of the house.
Trees only on the perimeter so no real need to do the zero turn stuff.
Although I compared the speed of the zero-turns (z445) to comparable regular tractors and they do go faster even though a comparable HP.

I'm not a small man...I clock in at 220-230 lbs (6'4"). Budget here is up to $5,500.

My priorities (if I need to get a new JD) is speed (I like the idea of going a max of 8.5mph), width (I have a 48" mower but will move to a 54" one if the price is right) and durability (this tractor is dying at 330 hours).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
A regular tractor you go slow not petal to the metal!! Go slower and you will get a better cut and the machine will last a lot longer! If you want to go fast then a Zero-turn is for you. I dont like Zero-turns on hills (My opinion). I would get a X320 or X340 but dont go fast with them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Snow plow...then you and I have philosophical differences.

I'm all about speed...the quicker I can get the job done the better. My LT190 always cut nice and yes I always had the pedal to the metal.

I've read about stability issues with the zero-turns on hills. Is that something to seriously worry about (i.e. flipping backwards)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update:

Tractor being delivered back today. What they did is they opened up the trans and topped the oil level.

I guess that's supposed to be a sealed trans but they said that's their last resort. They looked at everything else suggested here and nada.

I figure I'll be getting a new tractor shortly.:fing20:

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
My priorities (if I need to get a new JD) is speed (I like the idea of going a max of 8.5mph)

That 8.5mph is transport speed. I can go that fast with my zero turn but handling isn't that great it doesn't take much pressure on the lever to change direction. Plus sudden stops or starts is going to rip the grass out of the lawn.

The main idea behind using a zero turn is being able to change directions without a lot of wasted motion, like turning a steering wheel. On long straight passes I may got a little faster then half speed.

The faster you go the more bump you`ll realize, hey my lawn looks smooth but it`s not plus you`ll wish you had a suspension seat. After a while you can get slammed down pretty hard if your not paying attention. in fact the faster you go the poorer the cut your going to get.

Once you master turning without tearing the lawn out by the roots, then you can pick up a little time on the straight passes. I like the fact I can maneuver into some pretty tight areas and hang enough of the mower deck over the edge of a flower bed and not have to trim with a string trimmer, that most of the time blow grass clipping into that same flower bed.

Taking a zero turn for a ride in a dealers parking lot is one thing. Ask your dealer to bring one out to you property and put it to a true test. Theres a big difference, then just a joy ride. The Z445 with either the 48" or 54" deck is a nice mower for the price with rear hydro pumps and wheel motors. The motor is a commercial grade, better then the Briggs they stick in the Z425 or Z225.

Flipping over backwards maybe rolling it over. I don`t have ROP on my machine but will never test it to see if it will roll, just the though of having over a 1000 pound laying on top of me is enough not to get stupid and try anything that risky, that why they make trimmer mower and string trimmers.
Maybe on some of those light weight consumer zero turns might. I`ve never had a problem on hills, if it looks unsafe then I don`t do it, you only got one life.

When you get on one and start to do something your not sure of, you`ll back down, just the fear of having that machine on top of you, that what they call the fear factor. :Stop:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts