My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for any info on the expected longevity of an LT155 K51 transmission. Anybody have any failures to report? I bought my LT155 4 years ago with low hours (I think – it has no hourmeter!). I think it’s a 2001 model and my best guess from the previous owner is that it only had about 100 hours or so on it when I bought it. I’ve probably put about 200 hours on it. My yard is flat, but the original owner had a hilly yard he used it on for one season. My yard is also small (0.5 acre) and with my fence and trees, I do a lot of 3 point-plus turns. I’m trying to figure out if based on this usage 300 or so hours is a lot or not so much. I figure I could sell it for almost what I have into it now, but if I can reasonably expect a lot more years out of it, it makes sense to hold on to it. Though it shows no outward issues, I just don't know if I can expect a lot more years of service or not - any info is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts
Well I'm not running a LT155 or 166 But I am running a 14 year old Sabre 1542HS with a sealed K51 other than a Little Hydro creep the Trans Is doing Just Fine:thThumbsU

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm not running a LT155 or 166 But I am running a 14 year old Sabre 1542HS with a sealed K51 other than a Little Hydro creep the Trans Is doing Just Fine:thThumbsU
That's good news - thanks for the quick response. Do you have any idea of the hours? How would you rate its life as far as hills and start/stop frequency?

·
GO TIGERS!
1,210 Posts
My Scotts 1642 lasted 10 years mowing a steep incline with a bagger. Last year it would start out fine but could not finish the 2 hour process when attempting to pull the full bagger and me up the hill.

This past year I replaced the main drive pulley and changed to synthetic fluid and it is holding its own. I no longer use it as my main mower but it carries me and the bagger just fine on a flat lawn at my Mothers house.

I usually begin mowing in March and mow through December or 40+/- weeks at 2 hours per mowing, 80 hours per year, 10 years, 800 hours of mowing. I have used the mower for other things so I'm going to guess that I had 1,000 hours on it then it began to weaken.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should change the oil in the tranny and then quit worrying about it.
The transmission is non-serviceable. I've seen where people have reported removing them and changing the oil, but John Deere does not recommend it. They simply recommend replacement when they fail.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Scotts 1642 lasted 10 years mowing a steep incline with a bagger. Last year it would start out fine but could not finish the 2 hour process when attempting to pull the full bagger and me up the hill.

This past year I replaced the main drive pulley and changed to synthetic fluid and it is holding its own. I no longer use it as my main mower but it carries me and the bagger just fine on a flat lawn at my Mothers house.

I usually begin mowing in March and mow through December or 40+/- weeks at 2 hours per mowing, 80 hours per year, 10 years, 800 hours of mowing. I have used the mower for other things so I'm going to guess that I had 1,000 hours on it then it began to weaken.

Hope this helps.
That's very helpful. If 1,000 hours is not out of the ordinary, mine should have a lot of life left.

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts
That's good news - thanks for the quick response. Do you have any idea of the hours? How would you rate its life as far as hills and start/stop frequency?
Well Most of It Life the Sabre was Used By My Late Grandfather to Cut 1/4 acre Lot twice a week spring thru Summer from 1999 till 2010. It Never Pulled More than a spreader, Sweeper, Spike aerator & De-Thatcher. I have Mowed my 2.5 acre yard with It When My Other tractors are set Up for Garden work in our 3 acre Garden So for the First 11 Year a Hour a week May to October. So say 25 to 30Hrs a year it first 11 years. The K51 Is Probably one of the Best sealed Trans Tuff-Torq made for Deere’s applications Based On collected statistics by Deere.

The K51 has Had Less reported Problems than the K46 as a Model But Keep In Mind the K46 has 43 different Variants and Only 6 different variants of the K51. The K51 was Used Mostly By Deere & Simplicity:thThumbsU

·
GO TIGERS!
1,210 Posts
That's very helpful. If 1,000 hours is not out of the ordinary, mine should have a lot of life left.
I agree, I have no remorse for the purchase of my 2001 Scotts. I don't recall what I paid for it but it does a great job mowing. The engine is as strong as day I got it (I think), there is not a speck of rust anywhere on it, only the seat shows a little wear. It rides and handles very well and I feel that it has been a great value. I serviced it annually and kept it indoors.

I also had a 2006 Toro GT. It was 25 hp, had a high and low range and 50" deck. Both me and my son would rather ride the Scotts. I sold my Toro with 140 hours on it when I purchased the X729.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the good information. I'm not worried about the longevity of the engine or anything else really, but I was worried about the non-serviceable transmission. It sounds like it should last longer than I am likely to ask it to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts