My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Normally I'm reluctant to ask questions.. But at this point, I'm a little stumped.

I bought an LT155 with a bad motor but otherwise very clean ($350). It looks like the last model year for that tractor. It included a good deck and bagger. The next day, I bought decent 16hp Briggs V-twin from an LT166. ($150) The motor came with muffler and heat shrouds.

I know the LT155 and LT166 are almost identical tractors. So I figured, heck I'll turn the the LT155 into a LT166.

Then I got to the electrical. From ebay, I found a wiring harness from a very early model LT166. It plugged in. The motor starts and runs, and shuts off.

But... The "new" harness has flaws.
1.) The brake swith/kill circuit doesn't work properly. Even when I'm sitting on the seat, when I release the brake, the circuit wants to kill the engine. When I received the new harness, it included a brake switch, but the switch was zip-tied to the depressed position. Now I know why.
2.) The reverse PTO safety circuitry is absent. I'm guessing the harness came from a very early model LT166, one that didn't have the reverse/PTO safety circuit built into it.

So questions:

1.) Does anybody have an LT166 wiring harness they'd be willing to part with? Preferably one that has the reverse and PTO override circuitry?

2.) Absent that, does anybody have a wiring schematic from either a newer LT155 and/or LT166?

I didn't want to destroy the original LT155's harness. But I'm not afraid to. I could combine the two harnesses to make on that'll work. But only if I have the schematics I need.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. I looked, the original harness is no longer available from JD.

I also thought about getting a harness from a new JD, and haven't found one that looks close to the LT's.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mark,

I might be able do make that drawing work....

The switch on mine is a 3 position. But I might be OK..

May I ask where you got it?

thx

·
Administrator
11,697 Posts
...May I ask where you got it?

thx
I have the tech manual that covers those models. You can purchase them through Deere at:

https://techpubs.deere.com/PreferencePage.aspx

At least they have a CD version which is the cheaper way to go.

Unfortunately I / we have to be careful about posting much from it. John Deere is one company that since they still sell the manuals they keep a close watch over their copyrighted material. They've made us and I know of some other places pull copyrighted material from the web in the past. :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner of the harness had by-passed the saftey switches. Should be easy to reverse his handi-work?

You'll luv your new machine. I bought an LT155 some years ago with a seized engine (had an oil leak).....I had it running like new in a week for under $90........Been using it as my only mower for at least 7 seasons now.....I think it will run forever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts