My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, just when I was about to pull the trigger today on a new LA135 I bump into a fellow at the dealership who happened to mention he was buying a new 304 and had a 2002 LT150 for sale. The salesman overheard this and said I should really go take a peek at his tractor BEFORE I buy the 135. So I went into the back and talked to the dealer mech. and he also said it would be a good tractor to own, he's seen very few come through the shop with issues. Hmmmmm ..... ok, so tonight I went over to this guys house and looked at the tractor. Seems to run smooth, no smoke , he claims no oil usage, seems to drive ok, tires good. As far as overall condition, well, it's not toooo bad, few scrapes and scuffs, but nothin rusty and although he claims it was always kept inside, it was easy to see it never had the TLC like a little wax every now and then. I'm sure he didn't abuse the machine (every spring it went to dealer for serviceing) he was one that just hosed it off and put her away. Anyhow, i'm sure I can pick it up for around a grand. Good buy??? Beings almost 6 yrs. old now and no hour meter, one would probably assume close to 200-250 hrs. so far. Here's my questions;

1- Would engine (Kohler) still have plenty of life?
2- Would tranny still be in good shape? (it's sealed unit, but I would still pull out to exchange fluids)
3- Is the tranny a little heavier duty than the unit in the LA135 series? (for pulling roller or plug aerator)
4- Is this a better tractor OVERALL than LA series?
5- Would the deck need new sleeves on the shafts by now?

My thoughts are, if this machine's age isn't a problem and if that is a decent price ($1000) it would be a good 'project' tractor to go over and detail it back to showroom condition. At a grand I could afford to put a couple bucks into her if needed. Just want to know if it's worth it overall vrs. a new 135 with 2 yr. warranty?

Any thoughts?? :thanku:

·
Administrator
11,942 Posts
I'm happy with my LT150. Only thing I've done is one deck belt, battery, and fuel line (showed some surface cracks) outside of the routine maintenance. I put an hour meter on mine. I think I'm the better part of 200 hrs. now. I've occasionally pulled a small roller, cart full of firewood, spike aerator, and a lawn sweeper with it. My yards little less than 1/3 acre, most on a (I'm guessing 10-30°) slope. Mine uses no oil, barely even discolors it after 30 or so hrs. a season. I was always surprised how clean the oil stayed in this engine over time (Kohler CV15) and lack of usage compared to all the Briggs engines I've owned in the past.

The only thing if I looked for something to complain about is the hydraulic valve lifters once in a while will be noisy on cold startup for a few seconds to a minute. It's done that though since day one. They told me when they delivered it not to be alarmed if it done that as long as it did not go away pretty quick after startup. Used to see some posts in the forums about that back a couple of years ago. But been awhile now since I've seen anyone mention it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm happy with my LT150. Only thing I've done is one deck belt, battery, and fuel line (showed some surface cracks) outside of the routine maintenance. I put an hour meter on mine. I think I'm the better part of 200 hrs. now. I've occasionally pulled a small roller, cart full of firewood, spike aerator, and a lawn sweeper with it. My yards little less than 1/3 acre, most on a (I'm guessing 10-30°) slope. Mine uses no oil, barely even discolors it after 30 or so hrs. a season. I was always surprised how clean the oil stayed in this engine over time (Kohler CV15) and lack of usage compared to all the Briggs engines I've owned in the past.

The only thing if I looked for something to complain about is the hydraulic valve lifters once in a while will be noisy on cold startup for a few seconds to a minute. It's done that thought since day one.
Thanks for the reply Mark, sounds like it's been a good machine for you so far. Do you have a feel for what this machine should go for used? Would a grand be about right or to much? Also, isn't the tranny (K-46c) in this tractor the same unit in the X300 series today??:Tractor2:

·
Administrator
11,942 Posts
That price sounds about what my small local dealer would have on it. Someone here has a price book on these I think. Hopefully he will see this and chime in here.

I read in another forum that some of the new K46 models on the L's have a lower torque rating than the older ones did even though they look the same. Here's a link to Tuff Torq's website. You could send them an email with the specific model number and they would probably fill you in on the individual specification details.

http://www.tufftorq.com/prodcomp.asp

·
Registered
79 Posts
Don't have a LT150, but I just got a LA135 delivered tonight. Its nice!
Cut a little bit of grass before it got dark, that larger seat is very comfy and has great suspension. Goes up steep hills with ease.

I had been checking craigslist for used mowers in my area and most people put very unrealistic prices, with very little detail on the actual item. Made my choice easy.

I got mine to mainly pull the 17 cubic foot cart I also got. I'm stilling looking for something a little bigger also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cut a little bit of grass before it got dark, that larger seat is very comfy and has great suspension. Goes up steep hills with ease.

I had been checking craigslist for used mowers in my area and most people put very unrealistic prices, with very little detail on the actual item. Made my choice easy.

I got mine to mainly pull the 17 cubic foot cart I also got. I'm stilling looking for something a little bigger also.

How about the quality of cut?? Satisfied? I often wonder if there is any noticeable difference of 'cut' between the LA series and the next step up X300.:confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read in another forum that some of the new K46 models on the L's have a lower torque rating than the older ones did even though they look the same. Here's a link to Tuff Torq's website. You could send them an email with the specific model number and they would probably fill you in on the individual specification details.

http://www.tufftorq.com/prodcomp.asp

Thanks Mark, I fired off an e-mail to them and will see what they say, will post response for all.:fing32:

·
Certified Technician
8,594 Posts
The Kohler Commands should have noisy lifters, ever. Usually when they do it's caused by someone having put SAE30 in the engine at some point, it gets in the lifters and they collapse, and wont pump up right until 10w30 is pumped in them. I wont tell you how we pump the lifters back up...it'd make you cringe with fear and make the hair on the bakc of your neck stand up..maybe even goosebumps.:hide:

·
Administrator
11,942 Posts
The Kohler Commands should have noisy lifters, ever. Usually when they do it's caused by someone having put SAE30 in the engine at some point, it gets in the lifters and they collapse, and wont pump up right until 10w30 is pumped in them. I wont tell you how we pump the lifters back up...it'd make you cringe with fear and make the hair on the bakc of your neck stand up..maybe even goosebumps.:hide:
The dealer told me when he delivered it to always use 10w30 in it and it would be fine. I could probably count on one hand the times it has done it over the years. Oddly it was the worst a couple times within the first oil change which if memory serves was 5 hours of operation when I changed it.

Hmm, maybe the dealer did not follow his own advice to help prevent "the Kohler tick" when he prepped it. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I had been checking craigslist for used mowers in my area and most people put very unrealist ic prices, with very little detail on the actual item. Made my choice easy.

Congrats on your new tractor jimbob!!

After looking at that used LT150 (6 yrs old and not exactly 'mint' lol) and after futher thought, i've decided to get the new 135. Yeah, i'm aware that it's not the same caliper machine as the X300 for example, but, I like the pricepoint of the 135 and the new warranty. With a little TLC i'm sure I can nurse it along and get the usage out of it for my application :trink39:

BTW; not sure if you've had the opportunity to cut enough grass with yours yet , but if so, how does the cut look? Nice and even with NO 'strips' left??

·
Registered
79 Posts
That grass I have used it on isn't a lawn, just a meadow like grass with patches, so its hard to see how good it cut but it looked ok. Grass hasn't started to grow yet in my area, last of the snow is just going away.

I went with the LA135 over the LA125, because of the vtwin engine and the front bumper. The dealer said it has a little more torque too. I do like the cart I got too, that will be the main use for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.