My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, long time problem.

I've had an LT133 (38" deck) for about 6 years now. I am the 2nd owner.

When I first got it, I went over as much as I could. Changed oil, filters, belts, greased, cleaned and leveled deck, new battery, etc. Not that it was in bad shape at all, just getting it to the point where I knew where it stood.

Ever since I started with it, I have always had a problem with it leaving a thin stripe of grass, just inside the right front tire. It's probably an inch wide but very noticeable. I've looked at the deck and I can't figure anything out as to why it's happening. It doesn't appear that there is anything right along that line that knocks the grass down so it doesn't get cut or anything like that.

I had the BM21817 mulching kit with blades on it last year and that really didn't change it at all.

I'll admit that due to lack of time, I don't clean under the deck, and mow when the grass is longer than it should be and sometimes wet which all exaggerate the problem. Even when i'm not taking much off, I still get the stripe. I'm always mowing at 3.25" on the dial.

The stock blades, JD mulch blades, and my current Gator Blades all leave the stripe. Side discharge or mulch, same thing.

Any thoughts? Just some weird aerodynamic anomaly?

I just want it gone. I get more frustrated as time goes on. Any other LT133 owners experiencing this?

·
Registered
553 Posts
My LT133 cuts great with the Predator blades that I have on it. Have you checked to make sure the deck isn't bent where the spindle bolts to the deck? Sounds like the deck is bent if new blades haven't fixed the issue you've been having. Good luck!:fing32:

·
Registered
70 Posts
To be honest, this is somewhat normal on all decks :) To fix it, first make sure your blades are sharp and in good shape. Second I would try a set of Gator blades...and third (and this is the easiest to try), raise your cutting height to 3.5" or more....I think you'll find it will help.

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My LT133 cuts great with the Predator blades that I have on it. Have you checked to make sure the deck isn't bent where the spindle bolts to the deck? Sounds like the deck is bent if new blades haven't fixed the issue you've been having. Good luck!:fing32:
How would I check for a bent deck? Didn't even know that could happen.

I suppose I could first verify that the blade is straight by checking a height at the tip from the floor at each end after rotating.

Then check height at both tips without rotating. I would have to do check once and then rotate 90 deg. and check again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest, this is somewhat normal on all decks :) To fix it, first make sure your blades are sharp and in good shape. Second I would try a set of Gator blades...and third (and this is the easiest to try), raise your cutting height to 3.5" or more....I think you'll find it will help.

Chris
Gator blades are currently installed but don't seem to provide any different cut quality.

I'll try going up to 3.5" but for me that's a catch 22. I just have to mow more often, which isn't going to happen.

I really do need to pull the deck off and get it cleaned up underneath. It's been quite some time. I can't image a bunch of hard grass clumps help airflow.

·
Registered
553 Posts
How would I check for a bent deck? Didn't even know that could happen.

I suppose I could first verify that the blade is straight by checking a height at the tip from the floor at each end after rotating.

Then check height at both tips without rotating. I would have to do check once and then rotate 90 deg. and check again.
The previous owner could have caused the damage if the problem has been going on ever since you got the machine.

Line the blades up tip-to-tip & spin one blade by hand 180* & see how the blade compares to the blade that hasn't moved. Then do it for the other blade as well. Or you can mark on the deck in three different spots where the blade would make contact if it was longer then see how the other side of the blade matches up to the first side at the three spots & then do the same for the other blade. A lot of times when the deck is bent in the "spindle pocket" the paint will chip around the spindle bolts to the deck.

The spindle shaft itself could be bent as well, usually you can see it wobble when spinning the blades by hand. Hope that all makes sense & helps you out!:fing32:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've got the same thing on my 317 with 48" deck and it's driving me mad! I leveled the deck and that seemed to help a little perhaps reducing it by 50% but it's still there.

Sent from the MTF Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts