My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got an old mower I inherited from my dad and he got it from my brother who have both passed away now. It's just kind of sentimental to me to still be out here mowing with it so I kind of put an extra effort in to keeping it running.

Now it's not.

Last time I used it last year, it wouldn't turn off. I was already December so I put it in reverse and killed it. Figured I'd figure it out this spring, I was sure it was the ignition switch. It's not.

Battery is good. It was still charged when I started on it this spring.

Symptoms, turn the key and it won't crank the starter. Nothing. Put the battery on charger, it checks good. Turn the key nothing. Not even a click. Put battery on jumpers from something running, nothing.

Pulled the switch and took to JD dealer to replace and had them check it while I was there and they said it was good, huh? Suggester the fuel solenoid so I bought one. I can't even find the fuel solinoid on this tractor. I don't think it still has that. I found diagrams and there's no fuel solenoin on the carb and no wires going to anything remotely like that.

I turned the key on and jumped across the heavy wires on the starting solenoid and it starts and runs.

Turn the key switch off and it keeps running.

With trans in nuetral, foot on the brake, and engage the mower deck, it dies.

It's like it THINKS it's in revearse and the safety kills it when I engage the mower.

The seat switch has been wired around years ago.

I started it again, running in nuetral, I pull the wire connection from the reverses safety and jumped the wires, it died. I'm thinking that indicates that safety is working or at least not interfering.

I pulled the safety switch on on the brake/clutch and checked with a multi meter. Normal position two poles show continuity, two do not. Pushing the button on the switch and they trade. The opposite set show continuity and open.

This is giving me fits and if I'm to get my money back on that high dollar, $70 fuel solenoid, I better take it back soon.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Fuel shutoff solenoids were optional on those, not standard (thus why shown in the catalog). You can install it if you want. It will prevent backfire. There should be a wire for it there in harness.

I agree, sounds like a bad RIO or PTO switch. 1998 models didn't have RIO, but 1999-up did.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That explains the extra yellow wire in the harness that's not hooked up to anything.

What is the RIO?

I pulled the grounding wire from the coil and jumped the starting solenoid. I mowed a little grass with it like this and as far as mowing I like it better than with all those safeties but it still won't shut off when I turn off the key.

So I'm sure it's something in the interlocks stopping it from starting and killing it. Why would that make it keep running when it's shut off? How does that make any sense?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Reverse Implement Option. You must choose to keep the blades running if you go in reverse.

Sounds like you have a ground problem somewhere. You are right, to kill the engine the key switch simply provides a path to ground for the ignition coil.

I suggest you get the manual.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got my mower back from the dealer. On this diagram, it was number 11, diode.

Easy to fix as changing a fuse if you know what it is causing it. $20 in parts, $200 in labor. The tech at JD even said it was a tuff one for him to figure out.

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/MP19/MP19218________UN12JUN00.gif

I think he also changed the solenoid but I don't think there was anything wrong with it and tightened up the engine mounting bolts. I know that really was loose and OK'd it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts