·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yah, I am on a couple of similar forums and I always hate it when people drop in, ask for all kinds of help and then never post back the outcome. So, I try to do so whenever I ask for suggestions. I hope the next guy can get his problem fixed without replacing all the parts I did and having to deal with the problem for two years.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry I'm late to the party......just found this thread.

I had the same tractor with the same problem and a new solinoid fixed it.

Sorry I didn't find the thread sooner, but glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ranger, yah, I wish you had as well. AFter two years of messing with everything else and replacing good parts, I wish I would have found the solution a long time ago. But all is well now and I am happpppyyyyy.

Glad you got your tractor fixed too. BTW: How do you winterize your mower at the end of the season?

·
Administrator
16,734 Posts
I wanted to start new post, but can't figure out how. We had these issues, but also had more. How do I go about that?
To post a question, go to the forum, in this case the Cub Cadet forum where you are and click on the button on upper left hand side of the page just below the header that says Post New Thread. Click on the button, fill out your question / or statement then scroll down and click Submit New Thread.
MikeC

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have one, and it's been worked on by a pretty good small engine guy... it starts right up. BUT if I have the filter on and in place and engage the blade, it immediately bogs down and stalls. If I remove the filter, no problem. Any chance the solenoid could do THAT?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My guess is no, but I would try a new (different) filter. The solenoid would only restrict fuel flow.

·
Make Better Mowers
1,970 Posts
My Husqvarna has had similar starting problems over the years. One issue was the throttle cable, which slipped at the engine tie-down clip. I would push the throttle full forward to engage the choke, but the choke was not fully closing. I loosened the clip, set the throttle to "choke", and then moved the cable until the choke connector rod was fully up and the choke was fully closed. Then I tightened the cable clip to keep it in place. Now the choke fully closes when the throttle is set to choke.

Cal
My VERY first thought, also!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have one, and it's been worked on by a pretty good small engine guy... it starts right up. BUT if I have the filter on and in place and engage the blade, it immediately bogs down and stalls. If I remove the filter, no problem. Any chance the solenoid could do THAT?
You do have a fuel flow problem there. Tell your pretty good small engine guy you are still having problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You do have a fuel flow problem there. Tell your pretty good small engine guy you are still having problems.
LOL Yeah, we're both trying to figure it out... I agree it's a fuel problem. New filters, new pump, totally cleaned out carb... everything is as clean as a whistle. New fuel lines, too. Runs like a champ. Starts like a champ with the filter on. Just DIES as soon as you engage the blades. Are there "it fits" filters in the world that really aren't GOOD? I don't know what kind of filter is on it, I just see it's the right fit and it's clean.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It could be a defective filter that isn't allowing enough air flow when the motor gets taxed when the blades engage. I would spring for a new one, just to rule it out. They are not that expensive.

I would also have a look at the blades, spindles, belt and pulleys to make sure they are not worn out and putting undue pressure on the motor when engaging.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Fuel flow problems outside the obvious are quite difficult.
Start from the beginning of the fuel:
Check that the gas cap is vented and working properly. Often missed, don't ask how I know.
Proper flow from gas tank.
Gas line clear of any obstructions from tank to fuel filter.
Fuel filter clean/new and full flow.
Gas line from fuel filter to fuel pump clear of any obstructions.
Fuel pump working correctly.
Gas line to carb clear of obstructions.
Air filter new/clean.
Carb is clean and adjusted properly.
Idle and full throttle rpms adjusted correctly.
Valves on engine set right.

Let us know what you and the mechanic find to solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
Fuel filters have different micron ratings (how small a particle the filter will catch). It could be that the fuel filter is too "good" (small micron rating, catches really small particles), and doesn't permit a large enough rate of fuel through the filter for the engine (so it'll start, and run at idle, but as the engine needs more fuel to run at higher speeds, it can't get enough fuel to properly run.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Oh, I was asuming it was the air filter, but same goes for the fuel filter. Try a new one and make sure it is compatible with your motor... most small engine inline fuel filters should work fine.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts