My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a simple question. Has anyone replaced the Kohler 20hp single Cylinder with a Harbor Freight Predator 22 HP (708cc) V-Twin motor. I am specifically asking about my Cub Cadet LT1045. The motor is running good right now, I have recently had some problems with it and want to have an idea of what I can do if the motor takes a dump. The deck is good, I just rebuilt it last summer and everything else on the motor is good so I don't necessarily want to trash it if I can get it back to good running shape for $700 and maybe even get a smoother more powerful V-Twin in the process.
Let me know what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Things you want to look at/consider:
-length and diameter of the crankshaft, you want them to be the same
-the exhaust, it may interfere with the frame, hood or surrounding parts, you may need to alter it so it is raised/lowered/moved to work, or other bits moved or removed to make space for it.
-electrical power output of the engine (what the alternator puts out), electric pto's for running the deck generally are in the 6A range, then any lights or other accessories. If the engine doesn't put out enough, the battery gets drained and the engine stops until you charge the battery up again.
-physical size of the engine, the hood/support brackets/etc may interfere with the engine. Depending on what and how much is being interfered with, it may be simple to trim or more difficult to fabricate something to work around it.
-bolt pattern on the engine generally isn't a big deal, as it's just drilling new holes (perhaps a bit of a hassle if the holes overlap existing ones...)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I can tell, they put out 7amps. As for the other issues, I am hoping someone already did this on an LT1045 or similar mower and can vouch for it fitting. I know on the reviews one guy did it easily on an LT1045 and another guy did it on the LT1042 that had a 19hp Kohler.
====================================================================
Installed into Cub cadet tractor
Cub cadet LXT 1045 came with 20hp Koehler single cylinder engine. It vibrated, and underpowered as I also use for snowblowing. 22hp horizontal twin engine installed nicely. Shaft, mounting holes and electrical connector where perfect. I had to modify cowling hinge brackets - that was it. Cranks, starts and runs great - smooth, plenty of power.
=====================================================================

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I have decided I will probably just get a different riding mower when this one craps out rather than invest $700 into a 12 year old LT. But, anyway, to tie this up, I contacted HF customer service to find out how many amps the alternator puts out for the PTO on the 22 hp Predator motor and this is what I got back. In case anyone else has this question:

Thank you for contacting Harbor Freight Tools.
The charging coil output is 13A/12VDC (+/-1).
We greatly appreciate your business,

Michael Roberts
Product Support

Harbor Freight Tools
P.O. Box 6010
Camarillo, CA 93011
Phone: 1.888.866.5797
Monday-Friday 7AM-4PM (PST)

·
3,246 Posts
I know that there had been a problem with the charging systems with the predators...which may have been corrected...I am wary of anything from HF, however most of the reports from people that have used them, other than the charging problem have been satisfied....but I agree riding the wheels off this tractor makes more sense

·
Hoosier Daddy
811 Posts
The motor is running good right now, I have recently had some problems with it and want to have an idea of what I can do if the motor takes a dump.
I've re-powered one with a Kohler Command single, and one with a Briggs Vanguard twin (each came from an electric PTO tractor donor).

The biggest hurdle will be the exhaust system, as I had to weld/modify the exhaust pipes to fit, and substitute a front-mount MTD muffler set-up to get either one to fit.
Not a huge deal if you have a welder, but a bit fiddly nonetheless. Still, worthwhile, as these are nice tractors that are let down by that problematic Courage single engine. :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yah, I had always thought Kohler were good motors, but lately have been reading a lot bad pub on the courage line.

·
Hoosier Daddy
811 Posts
The Courage singles are best avoided is all I can say. I've seen quite a few with cracked crankcases from the top cover bolts backing out and hitting the flywheel.
I've also seen them spit valves, which isn't pretty. They usually create a good source of nice tractors in need of an engine. ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yah, that is kind of what got me looking for a replacement before something like that happened and I had to scramble. I saw lots of posts about the cracked and blown out crank cases. I wish I had gone for the twin cylinder when I bought this one, but it is 12 years old now and aside from a couple minor issues has been pretty dependable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts