My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Cub Cadet LT1045 2006 model (purchased in 2007) that died last week. I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out what's wrong with it.

The battery's ok, its gotten a full charge and will turn the mower, which fails to catch. The air filter was gunked up but has been cleaned. The fuel filter is fine, and fuel is flowing from the fuel pump to the carb. With the air filter off I can see little bits of fuel spraying into the chamber. If I spray starter fluid into the carb with the air filter off, it starts and chokingly runs as long as it has starter fluid. I changed the spark plug, to no avail.

Any other thoughts? I'd say the engine or electrical was the problem but for the fact that it runs (poorly, of course) with starter fluid. Could it be bad gas? Any other thoughts?

I'm out of ideas of what else to do before taking it to a shop.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Carb clogged with something?

Send some carb cleaner down the throat and maybe some SeaFoam too. Sounds like you got something clogged in a carb jet.
Maybe something dropped off the air filter when you took it out.
They will run on starter fluid with a clogged jet....ask me how I know :).

Could be bad gas too.

Other possibilities:
-carb float stuck
-fuel pump not pimping, uh pumping enough gas.

Others to follow I'm sure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Does this mean I need to disassemble the carb & its jets? (Guess this mower was jealous of the attention I was paying on my new-to-me '69 SS12 tractor, I just rebuilt that carb earlier this year.) Guess I'd better pick up a carb rebuild kit so I at least have the gaskets and other little bits.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Check the fuel cut off solenoid. Check to make sure it has power with the key on. If it does remove the solenoid and check to see if it is gummed up. If it is you should be able to clean it and be like new again. It is the brass fitting on the bottom of the carb.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Ok. Does this mean I need to disassemble the carb & its jets? (Guess this mower was jealous of the attention I was paying on my new-to-me '69 SS12 tractor, I just rebuilt that carb earlier this year.) Guess I'd better pick up a carb rebuild kit so I at least have the gaskets and other little bits.
No, just shoot(pour) some in the throat of the carb. Trying to keep from having to remove the carb and clean the jets that way.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would tend to agree with Jeepersmitty on this one. Check the fuel solenoid at the bottom of the carb. If it runs while shooting fluid into the throat, and you are getting fuel to the carb from the tank then the solenoid is either not working or broke.......

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was wet fuel. The gas cap has a little vent in it and it looks like last winter some moisture condensed inside the vent and cracked it open, so water was dripping into the fuel.

I ran fuel into the carb from a fuel tank on gravity alone and it started up after a couple of cranks. So I figured it was just the fuel. I changed the fuel filter, emptied the tank into bottles for proper disposal, and refilled it. It runs just fine now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts