My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a LT1000 with an 18HP Intek.
There has been a long-running issue with the needles leaking and filling the cylinders when parked, so I put a fuel cutoff valve inline.

Last week I went to fire the thing up to move some snow, and the cylinder was full of fuel. I thought I had forgotten to close the cutoff valve when I last parked it. I took the plug out, let it drain, opened the cutoff valve again... and noticed a decent drip, almost a stream, of fuel coming out from someplace near the carb as son as I open the cutoff valve.

The fuel hose and connections look fine, so I am thinking some big gasket or seal fail at or in the carb. Or maybe something else? I will look again but I hate to leak fuel everywhere, the only way I have to heat my garage is with a kerosene heater.......

Just so I have everything on hand when I dig into it: What gasket/ carb repair kit should I order for my Intek? I looked around for a bit online but didn't get clear idea.

Model 3111777
Type 0605E2
Code 050721ZA

If there is anything else I should think about, I am very open to suggestions. I poked around a little but don't see anything obvious wrong right now.

Thanks!

Brian.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi, I have a LT1000 with an 18HP Intek.
There has been a long-running issue with the needles leaking and filling the cylinders when parked, so I put a fuel cutoff valve inline.

Last week I went to fire the thing up to move some snow, and the cylinder was full of fuel. I thought I had forgotten to close the cutoff valve when I last parked it. I took the plug out, let it drain, opened the cutoff valve again... and noticed a decent drip, almost a stream, of fuel coming out from someplace near the carb as son as I open the cutoff valve.

The fuel hose and connections look fine, so I am thinking some big gasket or seal fail at or in the carb. Or maybe something else? I will look again but I hate to leak fuel everywhere, the only way I have to heat my garage is with a kerosene heater.......

Just so I have everything on hand when I dig into it: What gasket/ carb repair kit should I order for my Intek? I looked around for a bit online but didn't get clear idea.

Model 3111777
Type 0605E2
Code 050721ZA

If there is anything else I should think about, I am very open to suggestions. I poked around a little but don't see anything obvious wrong right now.

Thanks!

Brian.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
if fuel got into cylinder it was likely through carb. You mention having shutoff but nothing about cleaning the carb. You may have crap preventing the float needle from seating. I've had one that flooded cylinder with shutoff closed. My theory was valve not working 100% or fuel was entering cylinder while I was running the engine although you'd expect a black smoke rich condition in that case.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
The only route for fuel to dribble from the carburetor is for the float valve to be allowing fuel to pass. Unless you have a failing fuel line, such as having a crack or pinhole.
Apparently the shutoff valve you installed does not shut off the fuel flow. It could have some 'stuff' that slipped in from the tank that has made it not seal properly. You could take it off and look for indications it has detritus keeping it from sealing, but it is possible its internal seals have failed over time.
Given that, I would be checking the float valve for 'stuff' or a damaged/worn needle and/or seat. If you have a 'rubber' tipped needle, it should not have a groove. If grooved, it is worn, and will likely not stop fuel, leading to over-rich running, and leakage when stored.
A 'rebuild kit' may have a new needle & seat, or you can look for a replacement carburetor. Many find the "China carburetors" now available will do the job, though they likely will need some 'finish work' to make them smooth operators. Ya payz yur monee and ya takes yur chance... It is no guaranteed replacement, but many vendors are good about sending replacements for defective units.
I would likely replace the shutoff valve, especially with a kero heater being used. A lot cheaper(though unbelievably expensive for what you get) than an insurance claim... or worse. The black & red B&S cutoff valves look as if they should be priced at 79 cents, not $4-5. IMO, old, but experienced...
tom

·
Hoosier Daddy
897 Posts
Those black and red plastic B&S shut-off valves aren't the most robust items, and many eventually leak.
If they are the cheaper Chinese copies, I've even had new ones of those leak (though not often).

That said, you'd be well served to fix the carb, as sooner or later, you're going to leave that valve open and ruin a crankcase full of oil (or worse).

Those Chinese replacement carbs are generally good and cost about the same as just the parts to fix the original carb. Either way is worth the effort.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,309 Posts
I've had the "knob" come off in my hand before on those cheap crap B&S red plastic gas shut offs!--got my gloves soaked with gas,lost almost the whole tank of gas too...they shouldn't even be sold period,never mind what they charge for such a hunk of junk..but I admit to using a few on some of my tractors,its better than no shut off--not much though!..

I find metal ones at flea markets and swap meets are not much better--made of the cheapest die cast or zinc crap available,and they do not always fully shut off either...they aren't cheap even at those places--they get 5-10 bucks each for them,stores get even more..for what safety a fuel shut off provides,they ought to be much cheaper--so more people wouldn't risk not going with one due to the cost..should be factory equipment too!..not "optional"..

I have used needle nosed vise grips to pinch off the rubber fuel line,or a C clamp ,if nothing else is handy..better than having your house or garage burn down if the carb starts leaking and siphons the tank empty...we almost lost our house back in the 70;s when a new lawn tractor my dad bought was parked in the garage under the house (his bedroom was right above the garage!)--the carb decided to flood and we didn't know there was a shut off on the carb,it looked like an adjustment needle--the furnacewas about 12 feet away in the next room too--my dad awoke in the middle of the night smelling gasoline,I went out and found the full tank of gas was now all over the floor!..

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I had an awful time with one of those cheap Chinese Nikki clones. It ran but it surged like crazy, even after reaming out the low idle circuit jet it still surged. I probably wrote about it here somewhere. I wound up tossing it and rebuilding the original Walbro that I took off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts