My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , I'm looking for some advice and a bit of knowledge. I have a 1992 LT4000 with the 12.5 hp I/C Briggs engine and a 2001 LT1000 with the 16.5 hp I/C Briggs engine. I have a plow attachment that I would like to put on one of these and was wondering which one would be the best tractor to use. I understand that the LT4000 should be heavier duty but since the LT1000 is 9 years newer and has the more powerful engine maybe it's the better choice? Also , could someone tell me specifically what components make the 4000 more heavier duty than the 1000? I've done some searching around and can't seem to get a concensus on which components are different to make one tractor heavier duty than the other. Thank you for any opinions and information you can provide

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
One difference I've seen is that the older ones have heaver mounts in the front where the deck attaches, some newer ones have a thinner piece of metal incorporated into the front axle bracket that is easy to bend. The newer ones have the step through frames which are probably not as strong but make the mower easier for an old man to get on an off. I dont know how the blade attaches, we don't push snow in GA.
Cannon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One difference I've seen is that the older ones have heaver mounts in the front where the deck attaches, some newer ones have a thinner piece of metal incorporated into the front axle bracket that is easy to bend. The newer ones have the step through frames which are probably not as strong but make the mower easier for an old man to get on an off. I dont know how the blade attaches, we don't push snow in GA.
Cannon
Thanks for your reply, it's very helpful. When you say newer and older models, would 1992 and 2001 models be considered in the newer group or older group? Thanks

·
Hoosier Daddy
897 Posts
I'd say they're probably interchangeable chassis-wise. The front axle mount on the later model is a bolt-on unit, where-as it's welded to the frame on the older model. You'd think that would make the older one stronger, but the frames on those are prone to cracking at the welds, so maybe not. Cast iron front axles would be preferable to pressed steel for any application that exerts pressure on the front suspension, if either of them has that.

More power is better than less for pushing snow I'd bet, but traction is a big concern. If you cant get the power to the ground... Chains and weights would be good to have, an the same set would probably fit either tractor if the wheels (for the weights) and tires (for chains) are the same size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd say they're probably interchangeable chassis-wise. The front axle mount on the later model is a bolt-on unit, where-as it's welded to the frame on the older model. You'd think that would make the older one stronger, but the frames on those are prone to cracking at the welds, so maybe not. Cast iron front axles would be preferable to pressed steel for any application that exerts pressure on the front suspension, if either of them has that.

More power is better than less for pushing snow I'd bet, but traction is a big concern. If you cant get the power to the ground... Chains and weights would be good to have, an the same set would probably fit either tractor if the wheels (for the weights) and tires (for chains) are the same size.
Thank you for your reply, you provided me with a lot of good information. It's funny that you mentioned the front axle on the 2001 model. I've owned this tractor since new and I had to replace that axel about 10 years ago, it failed at the spindle area and just split apart at the seam. The replacement axel was a stronger part with double welds at the end where the spindle slides in so hopefully I won't have issues with that again. Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts