My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone help me. I have a craftsman LT1000 lawn tractor. I replaced the carb this past spring to correct a surging issue which resolved the problem. However, now I have oil leaking from under the oil fill/dipstick cap when the tractor is under load or even recently when just idling. I do not smell gas in the oil. I did not overfill the oil in the crankcase. I did clean the oil breather assembly which seemed pretty clean to me. My plug fouls up quickly. I just placed a new one and was trying to adjust the carb and in a matter of minutes it turned black. It does smoke but I have not paid attention to the color maybe because its not necessarily black in color. Could it be a ring or head gasket? I can't believe that an incorrectly adjusted carb would cause increase in oil pressure in the CC. It runs fine and starts fine until I start mowing and the plug gets fouled. Any ideas?

Marco

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
Specifying which engine would be more helpful than which tractor.

I'd suspect a head gasket.
Remove the valve cover(s) and inspect for push rods that aren't in the "right place".

IF they look intact, start it briefly and look for a "wisp" of smoke/vapor blowing out from where it shouldn't. (head gasket area)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Briggs Engine model 31H777, type number 0202-E1. As for the carb. I've been told to set the idle mixture screw 1 and 1/4 turns but how do I know where to set the idle screw? I will check the valves and the head gasket next. What about a worn ring on the piston?

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Oil leak under the dip stick can usually mean that the small rubber o-ring has been either removed or pushed down into the crankcase. Easy fix. Parts at local auto parts store. 25 or 50 cents.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, I think it was a blown head gasket. I took apart the head and found quite a bit of carbon deposit which I cleaned up. The gasket looks like it probably failed between the cylinder port and the regtangular port adjacent to it. I have not been able to see the end result because my battery was low and is now charging. The only potential issue is that I did not pay attention to which push rod goes in which slot. THey are two differnet materials and I placed them according to how well they fit. What will happen if I reverse them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A single puff of white smoke

Bill,

I did replace the head gasket which resolved my problems. Today I topped off the oil because I found the level on the dip stick to be at the add end of the range. While using the tractor and I have a bit of a slope on my yard, at one point while all was running well, a great big puff of white smoke came out of the exhaust. No noise and no change in performance. I quickly shut everything off and examined the engine. No leaks were noted but the dip stick was unscrewed and I know I closed it after adding the oil. I checked the oil and this time it appears there wasa too much oil in the engine so I drained it to the appropriate level and everything was fine. Did I blow another gasket? Damage anything? If this was a result of too much oil, It would then appear that when the dip stick reads that the level is at the top end of the acceptable range it is really too much? What is the correct way to check the oil. Engine cold vs hot, dip stick screwed in all the way or just seated?
Specifying which engine would be more helpful than which tractor.

I'd suspect a head gasket.
Remove the valve cover(s) and inspect for push rods that aren't in the "right place".

IF they look intact, start it briefly and look for a "wisp" of smoke/vapor blowing out from where it shouldn't. (head gasket area)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts