My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased used Craftsman Lt 4000.
Steering wheel has a fair amount of play and shaft moves a bit.
Any remedy to fix it will help!
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
90 Posts
Remedy - Replace worn parts :p Check by the steering gear there is an arm that attaches to the steering rod. There is a little plastic bushing by the gears that might be worn out. You can wiggle it there and see if it moves. Also the steering rod's ball joints could be worn out. Move the wheel back and forth and watch that arm to see if it moves a bit before the wheels turn. Those 2 areas seem to cause the most amount of play on mine. Both of which will be fixed when I decide to do it. I'll be doing the steering rod with heim joints instead of the ball joints.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Even new Craftsman tractors have sloppy steering so replacing worn parts will only give marginal results. If it really bothers you, you will have to modify several components to be tighter than OEM.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The plastic bearing at the base of the steering shaft wore out on mine. I pulled it out and put a metal sleeve made of tubing in it. It's held that way for years with just a bit of lube now and then.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Blazin,is that part called a Nyliner snap in?
Parts photo shows Black Plastic with a split.
I believe so, I can dig up the part number from sears site after work if you don't have it. Yes it is black with a split. Mine is all worn out but I might replace it with something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts