My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lt 1554 cub cadet that started running rough. changed plugs, filters, adjusted valves drained fuel, cleaned carb., what else? I ran a compression test it was good. it also has a noise with it coming from engine. not so much as engine bearing or rod noise just a vibration style noise in it. any help appreciated. coils are firing good, but can they still be bad. also there is a ignition advance control on here can that be bad?

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Without seeing it and hearing it run it is hard to guess. It still seems like a fuel related problem. The carb may need to be cleaned. By the way welcome to the forum. Others will be along to give their thoughts.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Adjusted valves?? What engine? Kohler twins have hydraulic lifters (nothing to adjust). Small block Chevy ones at that.

Joel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Adjusted valves?? What engine? Kohler twins have hydraulic lifters (nothing to adjust). Small block Chevy ones at that.

Joel
just b/c it has hydraulic lifters don't mean you cant adjust valves. the valve lash can still be adjusted. when you have adjustable rocker arms they have to be set with valve lash.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Go to the Kohler web site and get the manual. I got mine for my slt 1550. I put it in a file and then print off the things t;hat I need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think one of my coils/modules is bad. even though it is firing. the manual said to check that the SDAM module is working and to check that you have to use a timing light on each cylinder. you mark on the top cover where the cylinder is firing at idle and then raise the throttle to high and the mark should advance. so i tried this on my moms mower b/c it's the exact same model as mine. it worked. which it should b/c there is nothing wrong with her mower. then i tried mine and on one side i could not get the light to even strobe and the other side strobes intermintently. so i think a coil is bad.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just last night I was invited by our preacher to stop in and check out his 1554. Sounds like the same problem your having. I started it and it runs great until it gets hot and it starts acting posessed. It stops like all spark and fuel stopped at the same time, then I have to full choke it to restart it, even though it's hot. Then it will run for a while then start cutting out and I can't keep it running.
This tractor has 48 hours on it!!! What did you find to be the problem?
Thanks for any help.
Randy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Randy,
I had the same problem with my 1550 with only 3 hours on it. Replace the in-line fuel filter and it will run again. Cheap simple fix.

Bob

·
Registered
421 Posts
Re: Gt 1554 idles rough checked everything

Good evening to all.
Update...first, it's a GT 1554 not an LT.
Since it had very few hours we thought it would be a good idea to take it to the dealer. It was returned with the verdict being "cracked spark plug" I had just replaced the spark plugs before taking to the dealer. Any way the same thing occurred. It runs fine even after reaching operating temps and then one of two things happen: it either dies like being shot or spits sputters and stalls. As was suggested earlier, I also change the inline fuel filter.
Would somebody please tell me the exact spark plug that should be used? I think it's the Kohler 27HP. Sorry but I don't have the tractor of manual close.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I at least want to make sure it has the correct plugs in it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks altbob.
I wend to the Kohler website and found that they suggest Champion RC12YC gap at .76
I know the plugs in it are not gapped .76
I'm getting two new RC12YC and using the .76

Does this sound correct based on your manual?

·
Registered
166 Posts
yup, champion rc12yc that what mine has in it. from the looks of the one I pulled out, I am running a little rich. I suspect it might be because quite often I forget to push the choke all the way back in when I start it. I have a bad habit of doing that. I would also suggest to you, that you get a can of seafoam with the screw top bottle that you can pour in your gastank, I did that when I had some idle problems last year, and it did the job. I had to wait till I ran a tankful of gas out of it. you can get it at autozone. it can find hidden problems with dirt in the fuel system, carb,fuel lines, dirt in the tank, etc.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
just b/c it has hydraulic lifters don't mean you cant adjust valves. the valve lash can still be adjusted. when you have adjustable rocker arms they have to be set with valve lash.
Yes, if you pull a rocker arm for some reason. Other than that there's no reason to touch it. The 'lifters' are there to hydraulically take up the lash. There's no lock nuts or shims like you'd find on a valvetrain w/out HLAs.

Joel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts