My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm looking to buy my first lawn tractor and found a 2000 LT 155 w/ 38in deck and a cart on CL for $700. Is this a decent price? Will it handle a sloped acre? What's the closest equivalent new model? Thanks.

-Todd

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
That's a decent price for a clean tractor. 1 acre of grass is a lot to tackle with a 38" deck. It will do it, but will take some time.

There actually isn't an exact match for an LT155, as it would actually fall between the current LA-Series and X300 (a little heavier-duty than an LA, but not quite an X300). They sold for @ 2,300 new I believe. Good tractors.

If you could find an LT166 with the 48" deck that would cut down your mowing time quite a bit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. I also found a 1987 318 with ~450 hours for $1500.. it also has a 38in deck. I'll keep looking over the next few days and see what else pops up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've had my LT155 for going on 10 years. Mine has the Freedom 42 deck. It has been mostly trouble free...most of the repairs needed were due to my negligence.

My yard is about an acre.....I figure about 45 minutes to cut it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the 150 with the 38in deck and mow a sharply sloped 1/2 acre in about 25-30 min. If I had a bigger deck, that would just mean less seat time!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Great looking LT155. slkpk

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got a great deal on a LT155 w/the 42" deck w/ a very little wear and tear. It had a scratch on the fender and I tried to use Rustoleum JD Paint which did not blend in w/the factory paint. I ended up spraying chip guard on the foot platform area and respraying the Rustoleum. It looks great not factory and for that I regret ever trying to paint this great little lawn mower. I've added a new fender decal which helps ease the pain and other things like: new front tires (ribbed), tune up kit, drink holder. I want to replace the rear tires next. Either way I'll never get a deal on a JD like I did on this one and plan on keeping it until it is too much to replace.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I certainly think the asking price of $700 is well within reason. I have previous expiriance with a LT166 which is almost the same exept it has more horsepower and a bigger deck. I really liked the easy to use features on the LT series. Everything was designed in a very userfriendly manner.

Like was mentioned above, the new equivelant to the LT155 would be the D170 or the X300 series.

·
Registered
873 Posts
MY LX178 had the smaller deck. My x520 has 54". It makes a big time difference on mowing large properties.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts