My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman LT12 and just was given a JD snow blade. It doesn't seem that the LT is very well liked but this was my dads so there is some sentimental value. I would like to hook up the blade and found alot of information on the Suburban model, looks like it has an "L" shaped bracket that the blade hooks on to. I've seen others that run angle to the rear of the tractor for stiffness. I will probably do a combination of both, however I honestly have never looked at the mower lift arrangement so I could use some ideas on a lifting mechanism that I could tie in with the mower lift. Any ideas?

Also, I'm a new poster here although I've been lurking a bit. Pretty interesting forums and it seems like a bunch of nice people, glad to be aboard.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have a Craftsman LT12 and just was given a JD snow blade. It doesn't seem that the LT is very well liked but this was my dads so there is some sentimental value. I would like to hook up the blade and found alot of information on the Suburban model, looks like it has an "L" shaped bracket that the blade hooks on to. I've seen others that run angle to the rear of the tractor for stiffness. I will probably do a combination of both, however I honestly have never looked at the mower lift arrangement so I could use some ideas on a lifting mechanism that I could tie in with the mower lift. Any ideas?

Also, I'm a new poster here although I've been lurking a bit. Pretty interesting forums and it seems like a bunch of nice people, glad to be aboard.
Welcome aboard Fiber.

I've owned a few craftsman in a lot of years ago, and I remember one in particular, I had to re-weld after my first year of pushing snow. The frame had cracked around both sides of the PTO hole where the engine mounts to the frame. (because I was pushing from the rear, and restricting at the front the frame wanted to buckle.
You'd be best to hook a long "A" frame right to your hitch if you can.

see picture for the frame. it is where the hole for the engine mount is. That is your weakest link.

Good luck
JayVee

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,199 Posts
Welcome! I don't have too much information on those model machines, but I am sure someone will be along to help :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spent a little time imagineering today and I think I have the lifting linkage solved. I should be able to use the mower deck lifting mechanism and a pivoted bar to raise the plow. As for mounting, I will make up something similar to the "L" shaped bracket that the Suburban uses, mine will be more of a "T" and tie into the front of the frame and the pivot point of the mower deck - which is part of the axle. Once that's mounted and welded together (not to the tractor) I can lay out an A-frame that will mount to the back somewhere. I'll have to make sure I take it easy with plowing as my plow is a rigid mount, I have some plans to make it pivoting with springs like the Craftsman blades are but that will have to wait till summer. We've been really lucky with no measurable snow that stayed around longer than a few hours. Somehow I think we will get hit pretty soon so I want to be at least somewhat ready with something more than a snow shovel.

Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts