31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original compression numbers

4 3 2 1
90 90 60 60

I am now getting

4 3 2 1
65 65 45 45

I replaced the gasket as I was told two cylinders next to each other with low compression was probably a bad head gasket

Figured while I was in there I would check the valves... I lapped and installed adjustable tappets where needed...

cleaned the head and the top of the engine block and installed a new napa head gasket

The coil had a crack in it so I replaced it and put in new condensor and points

the new coil was labeled differently so I looked and found this and installed it as specified

If you have a new round can coil for your 8N and it does not say BAT and DIST on the top of it, just remember, for a POSITIVE GROUND tractor, it's Positive Plus to Points, (PPP) the .+. wire goes to the distributor. Hooking it up backwards reverses the polarity & costs you about 25% of spark efficiency
I went to test start it and got nothing... just cranks... I checked the carb for gas and the bowl had some in it... so I checked each plug and was getting spark... I re-checked the points gap and it looked good... tried a little starting fluid and got nothing...

so thats when I checked the compression and got the numbers above... not sure where to go from here... any help would be appreciated..

thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
You need to do a leakdown test to find out where you are losing compression. My guess would be the valves are out of adjustment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts