My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
What happened?
638 Posts
I have mine spaced about an 1/8" from the transaxle case.

The general rule of thumb is to have the set screw in the center on the woodruff key. Mark the center of the key with a sharpie, then slide the pulley assembly on until you see the mark at the bottom of the set screw hole.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have mine spaced about an 1/8" from the transaxle case.

The general rule of thumb is to have the set screw in the center on the woodruff key. Mark the center of the key with a sharpie, then slide the pulley assembly on until you see the mark at the bottom of the set screw hole.
Thanks for the info. I will set mine that way. Another person who worked at Simplicity said "check on your shaft and find the indent from the original spot on the shaft and reset it there. I took a drill bit 1 size over 1/8" and held it between the transmission and the low speed pulley hub that drill bit spacing put me dead on with the original setting.
The real test will be tomorrow when we get our snow. Only suppose to be about 4" total.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Dale, I'm not clear on the measurement you're asking for....maybe others aren't either. I'm sure someone here can help. The small frame tractors are outside my wheelhouse (not by choice, can't find one!), otherwise I'd lend a hand in a heartbeat!
I did get an answer to this measurement. This person said check on the transmission shaft and see the indent on the shaft from the set screws. I found that spot and took a drill bit one size over 1/8" this put me dead on to where the original setting is located. Suppose to get about 4" of snow by tomorrow morning so may be a give the Simplicity a test. Thanks for help. Dale

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you got it sorted out! Time for a test run tomorrow? =]

I'm hearing 5-10" over here by the lake, so I'm thinking a half footcan be expected. Should be wet and heavy...a good test for the Broadmoor. Are you pushing or throwing?
I took the blade off and put the single stage thrower on. Have rules in town. Snow can't be pushed into the street or the curb area, so the thrower should do a better job if the low speed pulley unit works.

·
What happened?
638 Posts
Here are some tips for snowblowing.

You need to load the blower enough so the engine runs "up against the governor". Not so much that you bog it down, but enough where you know that a load is applied. This is accomplished by your ground speed. Your engine must run at WOT.

I apply hard car wax to the inside of the discharge chute, all the leading edges of the impeller, and as much as I can to the inside of the housing to eliminate clogging.

Some people use cooking spray, but I hear they need to reapply it more than hard wax. I can get a whole season of snowblowing in with wax.

I can throw snow into my next door neighbors yard with ease with the 5hp tractor and its 27" snowblower attached.

And you should see them stop and watch as I clear my driveway whilst I'm sitting. I have cleared my drive in less than 10 minutes too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the information. This is a great site, Thank you for being here. Through this site I have made some new friends. I was able to get a hold of someone at Simplicity. He told me the the spacing about 1/8 inch is just so that the transmission pulley and the low speed pulley hub don't rub against each other. We are expecting a little snow tomorrow night so may be able to put the 1965, 717 broadmoor to work throwing snow.

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,426 Posts
Gald to hear you have things squared away. Of the sites I frequent, this one probably has the warmest 'feel'. Great folks, and a wide variety of machines and conversation. I've made a few friends here too! =]

It snowed like crazy here this morning...got probably 5 fluffy inches in an hour. No joke. We get some heavy snowsqualls, but I couldn't see but 5-10 yards in front of the truck. My 20 minute drive was over an hour, simply because of the never ending whiteout. They say a good 3-6" tomorrow.

We're excited to hear and see how the little guy does!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts