My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very surprised at the number of hours some people ranked up on there John Deere mowers. A lot of people have mower only a few years and have hundreds of hours on there John Deere Tractors. Personally, I purchased my JD X300 in May 2009 and despite using it to clear the driveway of 7 snow storms, mowing about 3/4 of grass and using it to push leaves, I've only ranked up 49 hours on the meter. It' only takes me about 1/2 hour to mow my grass maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks in the summer. How do you guys rank up so many hours on your tractors in such a short amount of time?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
It takes me just under 5 hours Oct 09 115 hours 3/4 of an acre ! the radiator is just getting warm.:trink40:

·
Tractor Nut
550 Posts
Sitting at around 1005 hours right now on my 2003. I've got 7 acres and I use it year round. It rarely sits unused for more than a week all year round.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
just larger properties I guess...

I did 60 hours last year just snowthrowing-

we had 190"+ of snow and I have about 10,000 sq. ft. to clear...

then I mow a acre at camp one every 1.5 weeks all summer long for another 50...

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I'm down to about 100 hours per year now and I use mine year around. I'm on 3 acres. slkpk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bought mine in May have 34 hours on it. Mow 3/4 once aweek. Extremely good summer for grass. Plug aerated twice. overseeded once. And of course anytime I need to move anything with a cart it is there.
I figure I bought might as well use it.
Unforunately it is put away for the winter.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Right now I am at 364.9 hours on my 2006 X520. Usually I average 100 hours a year but this year I have only put 74.9 hours on the tractor. Using it on 4 acres grass and two acres of garden and 5 acres of woods.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,075 Posts
Here, in the mountains of East Tennessee, we're just short of being a rain forest....so, the grass does grow! Also, the growing season is much longer than, say, New Jersey. Right now, at the end of November, the wild onions are growing very well. My 2001 Cub has over 1600 hours on it. It has a 38 inch deck and I've been guilty of mowing the entire 12 Acres with it. Some areas need mowing more than once a week.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I've had the X748 for 16 months (took delivery on July 13, 2010). It currently is showing 85 hours, so I am averaging 5.4 hours per month (or 65 hour per year). Pretty much all ground engagement time (FEL, box blade, tilling, etc.) I haven't mowed with it since the 1st couple of weeks I owned it.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
My '04 GX335 has passed 700 hours here on my massive estate of 1/3rd acre. I used to mow/snow clear some neighbors for a few years and that added to my total hours. BUT, I now have a Johnny Bucket Jr. and that (with some sinister crafty thought) gives me way more seat time in the non-snow months.

Hey, if you want more seat time, you got to get creative! Take out the garbage cans... get the paper and the mail (separate trips), mulch/bag leaves, ride down to the gas station with the trailer for milk/bread/Oreos fuel and propane, move fire wood piles to the stacks every year w/plow or Johnny Bucket... Heck, I could use another tractor!:D

·
Super Moderator
33,601 Posts
Well, almost everything I do outside my tractor is either being used or is there for moral support!! I put about 55 hrs a year or slightly better on it. My 1.25 acres takes approximately 2.5 hours to mow, then it has to be swept, then I spray it evrey once in a while, then the drive needs bladed etc..... Just keep it working every week for something!

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
I put over 65 hours on mine since March, mowing, spreading fertilizer, aerating, and anything else a tractor is useful for. It has 158 hours in just over a year and a half.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I average around 30-50 hours per year just mowing and doing yard work,no snow removel.My lovely wife uses our ingersoll 4020PS to help with the mowing duties on our 11 acres.:fing32:coobie

·
Premium Member
9,779 Posts
None of my Deeres have hour meters, but I'm not putting huge hours on them. The Craftsman is the cheif mower and blower, I'm putting about 35 hrs a year on that. Having a number of tractors certainly keeps the hours down for each one.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,075 Posts
I believe a tractor is like any other tool. If you're a "busy" person, you'll think of any excuse to jump on it. Not unlike a hammer or screwdriver, if you need it, you'll use it. Having a nice tractor, of course, makes it more enjoyable and a heavy-duty unit is less likely to break down, therefore giving you more pleasure. I know, too, that I don't mind being seen on our frontage riding either the John Deere or the shaft-driven Cub (It would, indeed, be embarrasing to be caught on a Murray or MTD!).

·
"The Lucky Muscle"
716 Posts
My WheelHorse saw about 30 Hours this year as my primary mowing tractor. 317 saw maybe 4 hours max.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts